The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Setup Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by killjoy9581, Jan 29, 2010.

1. killjoy9581

killjoy9581 Registered

A little background before my question. I have my a server at a colocation and I am running solusvm as the VPS control panel. I am using my colocations DNS server for the Resolvers in set 2 in the cPanel install. For setup #4 I am using ns1.mypixelpit.com and ns2.mypixelpit.com for the "nameserver domains" both NS1 and ns2 have the IP's of the VPS they are on and are setup with godaddy. Those IP's are 216.218.216.3 and 216.218.216.4. Also in setup #4 I have both 'Add "A Entries" for all Nameservers' and 'Add "A Entries" for Hostname' boxes checked. ns1.mydomain.com has the main IP of 216.218.216.3 and ns2.mydomain.com has the other IP of 216.218.216.4. My hostname has the IP of 216.218.216.3. I am also using BIND.

Ok now for my question. Am I setting this up right? I can't get my domains to point to this server? I type my domains into firefox and get nothing. I just used Anonymouse.org and I get this error
    """"
    The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.bayareasound.net

Unable to determine IP address from host name "www.bayareasound.net"

The DNS server returned:

Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query.

This means that the cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL. Check if the address is correct.
    """

I have the nameservers set up correctly with the registrars.

The domains that I am trying to get to work are www.bayareasound.net, www.boldhosts.com,www.mypixelpit.com

Do I need to set up something like rDNS for this to work?

#1 killjoy9581, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  2. JordiCS

JordiCS Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

First of all, you should check your zones on WebHostManager --> DNS functions --> Edit DNS zone, and see if the zones for your three domains are there and are OK. If you check the domains with intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health tool you'll find several errors, among them no SOA records, no A records and no MX records. After creating an account for each of these domains there should be a properly configured zone for every one of them including SOA, A, NS, and MX records.

rDNS is not related to this, you need rDNS for your mail not being blocked by recipient servers.

Regards,