The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Skins Info...

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by __DoPe_ShOw__, Oct 12, 2004.

1. __DoPe_ShOw__

__DoPe_ShOw__ Well-Known Member

I replied to another thread named Skin Tutorials but nobody seems to want to reply. So i'll start a new thread. Does anyone know of ANY real tutorials on making cPanel Skins? All I basically need is all the codes that it needs. Anyone?

Come on now! :)

2. RAIS2

RAIS2 Well-Known Member

There are no tutorials on customizing a skin. However, you can view the current themes (source code) on your server and you can find out the neccesary cpanel tags. Tip, X skin is usually the most current version as it gets updated as cpanel gets updated.

3. __DoPe_ShOw__

__DoPe_ShOw__ Well-Known Member

cPanel should make one then. It's alot easier than looking through the code... blah... I may do it then release it with the descriptions of each command and stuff... Not sure yet, should I?

4. emechanic

emechanic Member

Definitly man

Someone probably already has but just doesn't think to give out the list.

5. Amorya

Amorya Member

I am of the opinion that cpanel's built in template language for skins is quite frankly awful. It has all sorts of nastiness like hard-coded HTML that doesn't validate, pages where the entire page is rendered by one command and is therefore not under user control, etc...

At present I am writing an addon that will sit on top of cpanel and give us a new language to create skins in! It'll be fully documented, and (for those that know it) will use the same syntax as the templating system from PHPBB.

Yes, I'm plugging my own future product here, but it is related to the topic :)

The cost for the system won't be a great deal - I'm anticipating less than many of the popular skins out there. (It'll come with a couple of skins too!) I'll hopefully also offer a development kit (for free), so that people can have a go at creating skins in this language before buying the product.

Just as an example, here's some code for a skin written for this product...

Code:
    <table width=100%>
    <tr>
    	<th>Address</th>
    	<th>Login</th>
    	<th>Used Space</th>
    	<th>Quota</th>
    	<th>Actions</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    	<td align=center>Main Account</td>
    	<td align=center>{MAIN_ACCOUNT_NAME}</td>
    	<td align=center>N/A</td>
    	<td align=center>N/A</td>
    	<td><a href="{U_WEBMAIL_LOGIN}">Read Webmail</a></td>
    </tr>
    <!-- BEGIN mailrow -->
    <tr valign=top>
    	<td align=center><a href="mailto:{mailrow.ADDRESS}">{mailrow.ADDRESS}</a></td>
    	<td align=center>{mailrow.LOGIN}</td>
    	<td align=center>{mailrow.CURRENTLY_USED}</td>
    	<td align=center>{mailrow.AVAILABLE}</td>
    	<td>
    	<a href="{mailrow.U_READ_WEBMAIL}">Read Webmail</a> :: 
    	<a href="{mailrow.U_CHANGE_PASS}">Change Password</a><br />
    	<a href="{mailrow.U_CHANGE_QUOTA}">Change Quota</a> :: 
    	<a href="{mailrow.U_DELETE}">Delete Account</a></td>
    </tr>
    <!-- END mailrow -->
    </table>
    The code above is for part of the mail accounts list page. If anyone's tried authoring directly in cpanel, you'll know that to get the list of mail accounts you use this command:

Code:
    <cpanel Email="listpopstable(disk)">
    The command provides the mail accounts already in a table, with hard-coded links to JPEG images, misaligned buttons for webmail, and no flexibility on what displays where.

My template code should show you how much more flexible skinning can be than cpanel's commands allow - I'm of the belief that this is how they should have done it from the start! :D

Amorya

6. Amorya

Amorya Member

Oh, and I almost forgot... Coming Soon!

I'll be after beta testers in probably a month or two. (Don't quote me on that though - development always takes longer than you think!) Hopefully it should go on sale a short while afterwards.

Amorya