The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[cPanel smartcheck] Possible Hard Drive Failure Soon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoWilkes, Sep 25, 2011.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My server IS several years old, so I know it's due for a replacement. That's a major pain, though, because an upgrade means a new IP, and with slow-to-update local internet providers, that means that I can have downtime of up to 2 weeks.

I can get a second server, upload all of the programs, and point them to the MySQL databases on the old server for awhile, though; then, when I'm positive that all of the IPs have updated their DNS records, I can copy over the MySQL databases. That does double my server expense for the month, though, which sucks, but I don't think there's an alternative.

So, I'm trying to determine how severe this problem is; do I need to upgrade tonight, or do I have some time?

Here's what the actual email said:

ATA Error Count: 9 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
    Error 9 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 48083 hours (2003 days + 11 hours)
    Error 8 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 11013 hours (458 days + 21 hours)
    Error 7 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 11013 hours (458 days + 21 hours)
    Error 6 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 11013 hours (458 days + 21 hours)
    Error 5 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 11010 hours (458 days + 18 hours)

Any advice would be very much appreciated! :)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you'll find the Similar Threads block. Lots of threads with the exact same title to read thru. And there are more on these forums than are showing there. :)

3. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I had seen most of those before posting, but didn't find any with the error that I received:

Error X occurred at disk power-on lifetime

I couldn't find anything relevant about this error message on Google, either, so I don't know how catastrophic it is.