The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Spam Filtering? Anyone know owt?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nnnnoooo, Aug 6, 2007.

1. nnnnoooo

nnnnoooo BANNED

I'm wondering if anyone has any good advice on configuring cPanel to filter spam. I gather this would be the best place to ask!

I'm sure I've read somewhere, where, cPanel can alter subjects - any idea how? I'd like to alter suspect spam to say 'spam' and clean email to say 'mail'??

2. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

Not sure you can change clean mail, but if you run Spam Assasin it'll change the subject to ***SPAM*** and then you can filter that. It used to be configurable, but in v10 it does things a little differently and can now reject mail before it's even received for very bad spam.

Clean mail will just come through as normal, but can't really see any advantage is changing both subjects.

Trev

3. nnnnoooo

nnnnoooo BANNED

the advantage of changing both subjects is that I can create a rule in outlook to move emails with ***MAIL*** in the subject to a different inbox. Obviously the same goes for ***SPAM*** but directly to the deleted items.

Just having it rewrite ***SPAM*** would actually be sufficient, but I cant even get this to work...

My hosts use cPanel 11, any ideas how I would set subject rewrites up?

I have SpamAssassin enabled.

4. trevHCS

Hmm...if you're receiving the spam messages still then it sounds like your host hasn't enabled subject rewriting which from Cpanel v10 is something that's done serverwide (used to be user configurable).

I'd have a word with them and ask if they can switch it on in WHM -> Exim Configuration Editor -> Filters as that's where it's now controlled from. Not sure why they'd disable it mind you.

Another option might be to look in the headers of a message and see if you can find
    "X-Spam-Status: No" or "X-Spam-Status: Yes". If you can filter by headers then you could use that to filter the messages. If that's not there then I suspect SA isn't working properly which is a hosting support issue.

Trev

5. nnnnoooo

nnnnoooo BANNED

Cheers for your help Trev, typically, I've just had a look at how much space im using and im at 87% limit with my current host, so I've decided to jump ship and move to GoDaddy who are a fair bit cheaper (with the current £ > $ conversion) and offer 5gb as opposed to my current 1gb solution.

Obviously this means losing cPanel which is always nice, but storage space is far more important to me.

6. trevHCS

Just don't forget - if you rely on UK traffic from Google then you're much better off being hosted in the UK than the US as Google.co.uk which is the UK default version tends to favour UK sites. Sometimes having a .co.uk domain helps, but anything else and you'll be seen as an American site.

Totally unrelated to the spam issue, but thought I'd better mention that before you jump ship and find you're losing traffic. I did also hear something bad about Godaddy and their domains policy recently, but I can't remember what it was offhand.

Losing Cpanel - eak, could never live with that! :)

Trev

7. nnnnoooo

nnnnoooo BANNED

I only chose my current host for IMAP, which turns out is something I never ever used, due to its implementation in outlook!

I currently have about 9 or 10 sites hosted with GoDaddy and the only downside I've found is the one you mention. It also depends how you push the site, as most of my .co.uk's on GoDaddy are the first result on most SE's...

8. IPSecureNetwork

IPSecureNetwork Well-Known Member

Cpanel Spam filtering

Hi,

Well cpanel 11.x improves a full way to configure spamassasin from the WHM and improve the use of RBL's & DNSBLS .. filtering a big part of the spam incoming.
    the RBL's DNSBL's used for cpanel are zen.spamhaus.org and RBL Spamcop.

this blacklist filter the 70%/80% of the spammers. ( in my personal case ) with a few tunnings of Spamassasin you can filter the 90% , 95% of the SPAM.

( all this options are in EXIM CONFIRGURATION - WHM )

9. trevHCS

nnnnoooo - sounds like you know what you're doing then. Just didn't want you suddenly finding that cheaper isn't always better as a few of our ex clients have found. Moi, gloat, never... :)

Regarding the RBL's - what's the general opinion on the use of those for spam protection?

I know we got listed on one of these spam lists for a couple of days due to 2 people (suspected to be same person) using that instead of their double optin mailing list unsubscribe link. That made me a little worried that we might start blocking legit ISPs.

Does anyone know if WHM supports other lists like there's one for dialup accounts I think that of course should never send e-mail (I guess callouts block most of those)...?

Trev