cpanel ssl certs versus CA authority certs

rolinger

Feb 13, 2017
Tampa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Can someone help provide clarification about cPanel Inc ssl certs please. I just discovered AutoSSL and cPanel Inc SSL certs - they are covering a secondary domain (on its on cPanel) of mine and I am not even certain how or when it got setup. I know I didn't do it. But I have been purchasing SSL certs from godaddy ($80 each) for my primary domain (on its own cPanel). I have been reading about AutoSSL cPanel certs and still am vague on a few things.

1. Are they full valid certs? In what situations are they fully valid and honored vs not? Or maybe a better question is where do they work vs not work?
2. What are the draw backs to using cPanel certs? Free is great, but at what cost to security or authenticity? Regardless of where they do work, where would I not want to use them even if they did work?
3. I read they can only be applied to HTTPS, but one of the hosts its applied to is the `mail.mydomain2.com` - good for any https traffic to that host, but what about mail server (smtp/imap/pop, etc) connectins? I ask because on my primary domain, with the purchased certs, one of the the certs covers my `mail.mydomain1.com` - if I remove the cert from that host/subdomain mail clients like MS Outlook and iOS Mail warn that the cert is not valid/secure `do you still want to connect`. This means my purchased SSL was covering more than just HTTPS for that host. Would a cPanel cert cover mail server connections as the purchased SSL cert?
4. Even if I still need to purchase SSL certs for certain situations - are their other, cheap, options cPanel folks can point to? I read about Comodo certs for like $4.99 - but is that legit? Is it the same kind of cert as a godaddy $80 cert? Cause if so, why in the world would godaddy charge so much if others were coming in at 1/10th the cost (beyond the fact that un-informed people/business (like myself) did not know better)?

Feel free to elaborate on questions related to this that I did not think to ask.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi rolinger,

The cPanel SSL Certificates are issued by Comodo (now known as Sectigo). They are rebranded as cPanel, and are trusted by all browsers and other applications that trust Comodo. You can use them with Web, Mail, and other services that use SSL Certificates. They are regular Domain Validated (DV) certificates and are auto-renewed every 90 days.

You can purchase single and multi-year DV and EV through our in-product marketplace. I believe the cPanel-branded SSL DV Certificate starts at $3.00 (it's been a while since I looked at the price).

rolinger

Feb 13, 2017
Tampa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi rolinger,

The cPanel SSL Certificates are issued by Comodo (now known as Sectigo). They are rebranded as cPanel, and are trusted by all browsers and other applications that trust Comodo. You can use them with Web, Mail, and other services that use SSL Certificates. They are regular Domain Validated (DV) certificates and are auto-renewed every 90 days.

You can purchase single and multi-year DV and EV through our in-product marketplace. I believe the cPanel-branded SSL DV Certificate starts at $3.00 (it's been a while since I looked at the price).
@cPanelKenneth - thanks. Whats the difference then between one of these certs and a godaddy cert - besides the price? In what situation would I not want to use one of these certs - if any? So are the AutoSSL (every 90 days) free to renew?... and the single year/multiyear DV/EV certs start at $3.00?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
The difference in the certificates is that they're issued by another Certificate Authority and they're 90 days as opposed to 1 year - otherwise, they're standard Domain Validated certificates and would be identical to their DV certificates with the exception of the CA and the period of validity. I went and got the exact pricing for you - looks like it's gone up a bit for a 1-year standard DV SSL - For transparency purposes do keep in mind this is single domain pricing. In most cases to purchase an SSL you'll want multiple SAN's added

Screenshot at May 08 13-03-40.png

To explain the commission pricing - you can set resellers up to get a commission for SSL certificates they sell to their customers.