The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel, SSL, Google and port 443

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacampbe, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jacampbe

jacampbe Active Member

Mar 19, 2008
    INFO: Our site contains adult(ish) material

I am trying to "verify" our website with Google using their webmaster dashboard, However, they wish to verify using

Adding :443 after the domain name simply resolves to default cPanel SSL page.

Do I need to install an SSL certificate just to verify our site with Google ?
    Is there a way to just redirect the request to port 80 ?

In WHM >> Main >> SSL/TLS >> Manage SSL Hosts I see no certificate for our domain so I assume we don't currently have one.

I have also reviewed httpd.conf and this seems to confirm that there's no SSL certificate installed for our domain. Neither do I see any host using port 443 or an include for ssl.conf

I am very concerned about proceeding with SSL as I have no experience with it. From reading various articles on the web there are a number of pitfalls to look out for, not the least of which are .....
    - Users no longer able to access the site in the normal way, via port 80
    - Apache startup interrupted by authentication request.

Sorry to ramble on but I'm just brain dumping (and floundering). I am hoping that there's a more straightforward way to achieve this.

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Our server is running CentOS 4 and Apache 1.3.37

Regards, Jim