The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel SSL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TFF, Sep 25, 2012.

1. TFF

TFF Member

Hello. I'm a cpanel reseller and after some failed attempts to setup the shared SSL, i decided to open up a brand new post to try to explain what i got so far, and try to figure out the best way to complete it properly.

So at this moment i got a "dedicated ip" installed on the reseller account, and asked my host to add the certificate as nobody, share it and activate the mod_userdir. Which resulted in the SSL not coming up.

Based on the answers in another thread, because the SSL requires a dedicated ip, and since i've added already more clients to the reseller account, the dedicated ip isn't dedicated anymore as it as now more clients using it.

So at this moment, i would like to move all the clients of the main account, to the old shared ip, and setup some configuration option like a dns template, so that when i add new clients they aren't added to the main domain's ip, but to the old shared ip, but i don't know if that would work so I would really appreciate a confirmation before i ask my host to modify anything again.

Thanks in advance.

2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dedicated IP assigned to your reseller account can be shared to all your domains added in your reseller account. Your host can do this for you if you decide to use it as shared IP.

But if you do not wish to use it as shared IP and only wish to use for your main domain for ssl purpose then you can just bind it to your main domain and install ssl on it.

Whenever you create an account from your WHM it will get assigned shared IP of the server automatically. They will not be binded to your dedicated IP.

3. TFF

TFF Member

Ok. So what i got so far is the setup you describe in your first paragraph, and what i need is in the second and the third.

And by changing that and restarting the web-server, the ssl should be enabled.

I'm gonna ask the host to check the error_log for any messages it might be hiding.

4. TFF

TFF Member

The host fixed it. Thanks for the feedback.