The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Stand-alone Name Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ungod, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Ungod

Ungod Registered

I have searched though all the faq's, forums, and documentation and I cannot find an answer to this question in a "cut and dried" kind of way. Any help for a cpanel newb would be greatly appreciated!

I would like to set the cpanel server up as it's own name server. (From what I understand the ability to do this is going to be phased out.) We can't afford 2 cpanel licenses so I can't set them both up as replicating name servers. Our current 2 nameservers are on freebsd and they also hold our hosted web dns entries. What we would like to accomplish is have the cpanel server host our websites, and resolve there names. So when a new domain is added we don't have to go to our current name server and create the zone and reverse. I have pointed the 2nd'ary name server to be our original name server.

I have A records in both our root domain and the one that point to the cpanel server. On the website we want to host we have the NS records pointing to the cpanel server as primary and the 2nd'ary to our current primary name server. I have registered the cpanel server with networksolutions as a name server for our domain. We have also specified the cpanel server as the name server on the domain we want to host as well.

I can see the A records in there but when I use dnsstuff.com to look at the domain we want to host it tells me there are no "A, MX" records for it.

The name of the site we want to host is:
    onsiteresults.com
    The name of our cpanel server is:
    cp1.iowaone.net

Any help in this would be really appreciated.
    Thanks again!
    Nate C