The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Theme Change Log?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bamm, Jun 8, 2004.

1. bamm

bamm Well-Known Member

I've searched the boards quite a bit looking for information in regards to change logs for changes that take place in the control panel coding...either I am using the wrong search term and not finding it or it's just not out there. If I've missed it and any know of it, please post the link, it would be greatly appreciated.

I customize my own control panels and have been for the last 7 years. It use to be that Nick would post in the Web Host Manager News when code changes occurred in the theme pages which alerted those of us that do use our own themes that we too needed to make changes to our own. He stopped posting these somewhere along the way. Without a log showing code changes in the actual theme pages, those of us who do customize our own control panels are left to sort through the themes for the changes that were made so that we can include those changes in our own themes. And because we are unaware of the changes it generally takes features to either stop functioning all together, or to not function correctly and our clients contact us at which point the search begins for the changes that were made. Additionally, when new things are added our control panels do not include them.

Is there a log out there where the changes are posted and I've just missed it somewhere? Is there a list to join so that we can receive notifications when coding is modified within the control panel pages themselves?

Ultimately what would be nice is to have a raw theme where no formatting or design is applied to any of the feature pages - this way, those of us that customize our own themes could use IFRAMES to link to the pages and those pages would conform to our own formatting and when modifications are made, those of us that do customize do not miss out on changes and additions. I did this to the x theme over the past week just to test it out and see if it would be possible. I took a copy of the x theme, went through each feature and stripped all formatting from each of the pages and put the actual feature coding into a standard html page within a single table making the table 100% wide, and 100% in height and for any coding that had to stay in tables I gave those tables the same attributes.

This made controlling the appearance/customization of my own control panel extremely easy. All I had to do was create my own template page, copy it for each feature and set my tables to reflect my own design, and insert an IFRAME to call the cpanel pages with the coding within my own table cells. I then made modifications to the stdheader.html and stdfooter.html to comply with my design, and modify the style.css file to my design. Initially setting up the index2 pages for my own design took a while, but then my design does not change, the only changes that ever take place are those that are made in the actual coding pages. I have to admit that this was all easier to do than trying to explain.

Although the above may be something that I will never see come to pass, having the ability to customize the control panel has always been an attractive feature of cpanel but without documentation of changes that are made, the upkeep of our own customized cpanels have become extremely difficult.

2. bamm

bamm Well-Known Member

Actually, there are many things that have changed and added.

But thanks for reading my message. :)

3. Dreamer

Dreamer Well-Known Member

Changes are included in the main changelog.

4. bamm

bamm Well-Known Member

Dreamer,

Maybe I am looking at the wrong logs but I am not seeing any mention of changes for the cpanel code. Can you give me a url?

Thanks

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I use my own customized version as well and noticed a while ago that the messages about changes in the theme features stopped. What I do is make a copy of the current skin before I upgrade, (I use manual upgrade), and then use "Total Commander" to compare the old and new. It shows me exactly what got changed. Then I make the necessary changes to mine.

6. bamm

bamm Well-Known Member

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the great suggestion. :)

7. Dreamer

Dreamer Well-Known Member