The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Theme Comments

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by markb14391, Jul 27, 2014.

1. markb14391

markb14391 Well-Known Member

I normally try not to be negative, but enough is enough.

Seven years ago we chose cPanel as our hosting control panel. It was a tough choice. Although we liked cPanel's feature set more, DirectAdmin was very close and had a much more professional interface. The default cPanel theme looked like something from the 1990s...but not the best that the 1990s had to offer (which is saying a lot, unfortunately).

But we went with cPanel, and soon heard that x4 would give cPanel a modern interface. We waited and waited, but nothing got better.

Eventually, WHM got a pretty decent new theme. So we expected that a professional-looking cPanel would be close behind. Unfortunately, WHM still looks pretty good but cPanel retains the look of the (worst of the) 1990s.

Then we heard about Paper Lantern. After all of the waiting, x4 was dead. But Paper Lantern would be the future of the cPanel UI. Now we're told that Paper Lantern is 100% usable from WHM 11.42 on. Yet it's not. We've shown it to focus groups, and some people have literally laughed at the idea that it's actually a completed theme. Elsewhere we hear that it's very much a work in progress. Some people say it's still technically a beta.

Despite the focus group response, Paper Lantern simply not good enough to be usable. The VPS optimized logo isn't even formatted properly. We can't change the bad logo otherwise customise Paper Lantern. There is a menu with three or four arbitrary selections. Users say the theme looks unfinished, yet we can't even brand it to make it look like a finished theme. I've asked how to fix the logo issue, but there is no response.

After the better part of a decade, we are disgusted that cPanel can't provide us with a professional theme. The world's leading hosting control panel can't provide us (and our clients) with a professional UI. Seriously? Counting all of our servers, we've spent a lot of money on cPanel over the better part of a decade. And this is the best we get for a UI?

It's time to start looking elsewhere. Plesk still looks like the early 2000s, but that's still better than what cPanel is offering us. cPanel, please answer this honestly:

When can we expect to have a cPanel theme that we can actually be proud (or at least not completely embarrassed) to present to our clients?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. markb14391

I'm not sure why the thread title was changed and called "ridiculous." The title mentioned being disgusted at the lack of a good theme after all these years. Whether or not you think that's ridiculous, it is my opinion. I am disgusted. And, isn't a forum a place where people express opinions? I'm normally not negative, and I don't think I've ever had a forum post edited in my life (here or anywhere), so I was surprised at that.

And I'm not sure why it's relevant that I asked about the logo three days ago. If you're saying that I shouldn't complain because I only asked for a fix three days ago, that doesn't change the fact that I've been waiting for years for a good theme (along with other people), and that I'm frustrated that Paper Lantern is touted as "the future" of cPanel's UI on one hand, and is said to be completely usable since 11.42. Yet, elsewhere, it's referred to as a work in progress.

And I have voiced feedback about cPanel's theme as far back as 2011:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/modern-attractive-theme-247381.html

You responded with screen shots of the changes "on the way." Unfortunately, in 2012 there was nothing new. I asked if there was an ETA, but the reply was:

So I have been voicing feedback, and I waited for the great-looking new theme only to have it not see the light of day. It's been frustrating.

That logo issue shouldn't have even happened. That's a simple detail that shouldn't have gotten by QA. And yet, days later, I'm still waiting for a fix. That alone summarizes the state of themes at cPanel.

#3 markb14391, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  4. markb14391

Is there an ETA as to when Paper Lantern will be brandable, including the ability to upload our own logo and change CSS?

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It was the end of the week 3 days ago. Today is Sunday. Your questions will be answered by the folks who can answer them properly for you as soon as they have a chance.

Thanks for the added clarity.

6. markb14391

Hi,

Thank you for clarifying the 3-day comments.

Mark