The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Theme

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by creed, Sep 28, 2002.

1. creed

creed Member

I am working on a CPanel for my hosting company. I'd like some opinions on it. The screenshot is pretty good quality, but it looks better live because there is lots of Flash on it. I appreciate all the other people in this forum posting other screen shots of their own. It helps give ideas. Thanks

http://www.hostronica.com/cpanel.html

2. promak

promak Well-Known Member

Oh I love it!:) :)
    Can You give me a copy of this theme??
    If yes email me!
    info@hostingasia.net!
    Thank You!;)

3. creed

creed Member

Cpanel Free?

I haven't decided if I am going to give this theme out or not. I still have to do alot of the backend stuff also. After I am done, I'll post a link to the demo. I got lots of ideas from other users in this group, and I appreciate that. I'll let you know what I decide. I am just looking for comments until I finish. Thanks.

4. mikerayner

mikerayner Well-Known Member

Attention: using Microsoft's icons for commercial use is illegal.
    Whether you offer free or for profit, it is in violation of Copyright law.

Your theme contains Microsoft's icons (Windows XP)
    The only accepted way for using Microsoft's icons is writing guides about a program developed by microsoft.

5. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

[quote:a8b95c2ebe][i:a8b95c2ebe]Originally posted by mikerayner[/i:a8b95c2ebe]

The only accepted way for using Microsofts' icons is writing guides about a program developed by microsoft.[/quote:a8b95c2ebe]
    Are you a M$ lawyer? ;-)

6. mikerayner

[quote:9eabe38fef][i:9eabe38fef]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:9eabe38fef]

[quote:9eabe38fef][i:9eabe38fef]Originally posted by mikerayner[/i:9eabe38fef]

The only accepted way for using Microsofts' icons is writing guides about a program developed by microsoft.[/quote:9eabe38fef]
    Are you a M$ lawyer? ;-)[/quote:9eabe38fef]
    When you violate Microsoft's copyright What could do protect us against violation?
    If we forget the Copyright then have to go and think for another business or job.

7. creed

creed Member

Microsoft

So why is there a CPanel XP. God you try and create a good thing, and people slam you. I guess I'll find some new icons. What if I change them slightly will they still be illegal? Does any one else know, does this guy know what he's talking about? I definatly wasn't going to sell this. Maybe just offer it as a free thing. Maybe I'll change my mind now just so people don't give me problems. I really didn't think it was that big of a deal using their icons.

8. mikerayner

[quote:741a503460][i:741a503460]Originally posted by creed[/i:741a503460]

So why is there a CPanel XP. God you try and create a good thing, and people slam you. I guess I'll find some new icons. What if I change them slightly will they still be illegal? Does any one else know, does this guy know what he's talking about? I definatly wasn't going to sell this. Maybe just offer it as a free thing. Maybe I'll change my mind now just so people don't give me problems. I really didn't think it was that big of a deal using their icons.[/quote:741a503460]
    Creed,

I am so sorry but it doesn't matter if you offer it free or not, refer to Term of Microsoft.

The only accepted way for using icons is writing a free guide for its products.
    In addition, I wrote this to protect you they are serious about abuses.
    However if you offer it free everybody who use it is violating copyright law.

Creed, again sorry just for protection.
    However, you are a good designer.

9. creed

creed Member

Capanel XP

Look at this CPanel smae icons as mine. And they sell it.

http://www.dotcoms.net.nz/xptheme.html

10. mikerayner

[quote:49864b6a03][i:49864b6a03]Originally posted by creed[/i:49864b6a03]

Look at this CPanel smae icons as mine. And they sell it.

http://www.dotcoms.net.nz/xptheme.html[/quote:49864b6a03]
    It's also illegal, you can call Microsoft licensing office to make sure.

11. creed

creed Member

Back to the drawing board

Well Mike. I appreciate your feedback. I guess I'll change the icons. So as long as Microsoft didn't create them, then they are OK? I see lots of people out there who have created their own XP looking icons. Do those matter. Do you have a link to the microsoft terms for the icons?

12. mikerayner

[quote:a28acef885][i:a28acef885]Originally posted by creed[/i:a28acef885]

Well Mike. I appreciate your feedback. I guess I'll change the icons. So as long as Microsoft didn't create them, then they are OK? I see lots of people out there who have created their own XP looking icons. Do those matter. Do you have a link to the microsoft terms for the icons?[/quote:a28acef885]
    refer to these URLs

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/permission/

also
    this is quoted directly from http://www.microsoft.com/permission/copyrgt/cop-img.htm#Icons
    [quote:a28acef885]
    Icons
    Microsoft does not generally allow the use of our icons in advertising, in books and other printed matter, on clothing or other promotional items, on-line and internet locations, in software applications, in television programs, commercials, movies, or on video tape, as they are NOT to be used as &artwork& or design elements.

EXCEPTIONS: Use of our icons is permissible in relation to a training manual or documentation written for and/or about a Microsoft product. In such cases, use of Microsoft icons must be specific to the function of the icon within the Microsoft software, and not used as a graphical element or design for your own purposes. Further, icons cannot be modified or altered and must appear as they would within the Microsoft software.

In addition, Software developers (ISV’s) may be allowed to use icons specifically provided in Microsoft Software Development Kits (SDK’s) and certain other programming tools and applications, (like Visual Basic or Visual C++), provided the use of icons is specifically covered in the Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA). Please carefully review your EULA and other product documentation to determine your rights to use Microsoft icons. You may also wish to note that Microsoft Press has recently released the Microsoft® Management Console Design and Development Kit, ISBN 0-7356-1038-X. Redistribution rights for certain icons are granted under the EULA. Please visit http://mspress.microsoft.com/books/4479.htm for more information.

If your use falls within these guidelines, no further written permission will be required or forthcoming.
    [/quote:a28acef885]

13. mikerayner

Also if someone else creates the same as icons or use their icons to create another one it is also in violation of copyright law

I know these because for a project I asked directly from Microsoft.

It is not just for Microsoft it also applicable to most of proprietorship developments

14. creed

creed Member

Which icons

So what if I use icons that Microsoft didn't make, but still kind of have a similar style to them?

15. mikerayner

[quote:fb042f6b22][i:fb042f6b22]Originally posted by creed[/i:fb042f6b22]

So what if I use icons that Microsoft didn't make, but still kind of have a similar style to them?[/quote:fb042f6b22]
    if they are the same you have not to use
    but if you see it and you can make sure it was not designed the same as a copyrighted icon you are free to use it.

But if they have similar style it doesn't matter to use it.

I don't know more than this, you also can refer to your attorney

16. creed

creed Member

cpanel xp

So how is the creator of Cpanel XP getting away with using Microsoft icons? I'm going to change mine now, but just wondering.

17. mikerayner

[quote:019c13771c][i:019c13771c]Originally posted by creed[/i:019c13771c]

So how is the creator of Cpanel XP getting away with using Microsoft icons? I'm going to change mine now, but just wondering.[/quote:019c13771c]
    Because they don't know.
    I sent you via Private Message a sample reaction of them to an abuse.

18. creed

creed Member

PM

How do I check my PM's? Sorry haven't been in this group long.

19. mikerayner

[quote:e241be6c42][i:e241be6c42]Originally posted by creed[/i:e241be6c42]

How do I check my PM's? Sorry haven't been in this group long.[/quote:e241be6c42]
    click on home button at the top right corner of this page then click the messages at the bottom of the main page

or

click on &My Home& button and then click on my messages

20. creed

creed Member

Never Mind

I figured it out.