cPanel Themes, Icons, and you!

stormy

Nov 22, 2003
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've seen it and that's good news, but it's quite some time till it arrives. If I'm not mistaken, they are coming in in the same release where Paper Lantern is disappearing. Is that right? That gives us zero time to prepare for it.

Reactions: AzeDK

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As of the time of this post, Paper Lantern is still scheduled to be included in 102 along with Jupiter, and then we plan to remove Paper Lantern in 104. Version 102 will also be the next LTS build if you need additional preparation time, and will remain the LTS build for more than one year.

Reactions: AzeDK and stormy

hosthuski

Registered
Nov 3, 2021
Utah
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you so much. +1 for icons. And a very neat feature that you plan to allow our branding colors to be inherited in them. That's an overlooked feature... just like the icons were to begin with. I echo the sentiment about the icons missing -- huge UX blunder. Users depend on the icons to make sense of what something is without having to necessarily read it first. Many of my users and resellers complained to us that the latest theme for cPanel lacked icons. Glad that you have Customer Advocacy in place for UX concerns. At least you listen to us in some things...

Reactions: AzeDK

SSmeredith

Feb 2, 2011
While I am yet another long-time user who prefers the icons for many of the same reasons mentioned here already, super happy that they will be returning. :-D

Why I am posting... Discouraged by the Glass (in my eye) theme and now finally getting the chance to try Jupiter, I notice the left nav has Tools and Solutions. Solutions is the last thing I want my customer's to visit. While I believe in open access, I prefer they don't open up that Pandora's box titled as "Solutions."

****Feature request to be able to edit the Solutions link or remove it completely without too much custom modification. Ideally, I would like to send them to our own WHMCS KB instead. Thanks!

Reactions: LBJ

murmaider

PartnerNOC
Apr 5, 2012
South Africa
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Icons are key.

I would just like to ask you not to remove the Paper Lantern theme.

Because there are dozens of manuals with images of it.

Imagine having to redo several manuals whenever you have a new theme.

Please think about your customers.
I completely agree with this.

cPanel is pushing the implementation of this jupiter theme like a bull in a china shop with very little care in how it is actually going to affect their customers.

Reactions: wswd and LBJ

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
The new icons are now available on the EDGE tier (starting in v11.100.9999.106) if you'd like to get a good look at them there.

To note: The icons in WHM in Build 106 are from a previous revision and will be updated to match the ones in cPanel in an upcoming EDGE release. We entertained the idea of continuing to have the group-icon appear in some small way inside each feature's icon but decided to keep it simple instead.

AzeDK

Jul 14, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The new icons are now available on the EDGE tier (starting in v11.100.9999.106) if you'd like to get a good look at them there.

To note: The icons in WHM in Build 106 are from a previous revision and will be updated to match the ones in cPanel in an upcoming EDGE release. We entertained the idea of continuing to have the group-icon appear in some small way inside each feature's icon but decided to keep it simple instead.
Holy cow the new Jupiter WHM interface in EDGE is hot as well, way hotter than Jupiter for CPANEL.

Last edited:
Reactions: cPanelAnthony

Bogdan I.

Sep 28, 2021
Romania
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Link to a real size screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/ogros2B.png

In regards to the cPanel icons, yeah, that actually looks good. No complaints about that part.

That being said, I can't help but notice a weird trend in all the redesigns.

In regards to both versions of Jupiter - WHM and cPanel.

Do you guys NOT have monitors wider than 1280 pixels in the office? It seems that both themes suffer from terrible space usage vertically.

The cPanel Jupiter has everything aligned to the left, which is fine, but the top navigation bar is aligned to the right. In the screenshot above (2560x1440), basically the sides of the interface don't even feel like they live in the same zipcode.

The WHM theme has the same issues, but slightly different:

My mouse cursor has to take an Uber to go from first to third item in the menu. They are SO spread apart. I understand that whitespace is nice in UI design, but this is honestly ridiculous.

Holy cow the new Jupiter WHM interface in EDGE is hot as well, way hotter than Jupiter for CPANEL.
I respectfully disagree.

It's such a terrible mess from A LOT of points of view.

Here's a video of it in action: 2022-01-07_21-01-25

I firmly believe that most cPanel/WHM Administrators use the left-side Menu for their day-by-day tasks... because it makes things easy: click search, find item, click.

But the new Jupiter WHM just screws up this workflow terrible. The search form on the top-right is completely detached from the menu, and instead of the current filtering we have now in WHM, this makes a backend request to return the search results. I understand why this might be preferable to some people (mainly new people who have no prior experience with the project), but this alienates veterans.

Further more, the actual Sidebar menu IS NOT VISIBLE until you click one of the items on the front page. This is just baffling from an UX point of view. Once the Sidebar menu is actually shown, it's scrolling down to your current position... which is fine. But in order to go back to the front page, you have to... scroll up and click the WHM icon.

hosthuski

Registered
Nov 3, 2021
Utah
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I also want to throw a concern out here -- plugin icons (cloudflare, bitninja, softaculous...etc) are going to stick out like a sore thumb and break the nice design consistency you're going for, here.