The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel thinks it always knows best! Part II

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dariofg2, Aug 19, 2003.

1. dariofg2

dariofg2 Well-Known Member

In reply to post http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13681

Geez, really hit a nerve, didn't I? :D

I've been programming and working with computers since before you were born, dude. Have you ever written your own experimental computer virus in Assembly? Or even a 3D FPS game? Kernel modules or drivers? We could argue who has the most experience with computers forever. Yes, I could write my own control panel and do a MUCH BETTER JOB than the Cpanel staff, if only I had the time.

Now here's where you missed the point: I don't mind Cpanel updating my config files. I just want my last line of defense available to me if I decide "don't touch this". And /etc/exim.pl HAS A MAJOR BUG I've already told Cpanel staff about, but they have ignored it so far. Exim updates overwrite that file even with the immutable bit set. If you want to rely only on Cpanel developers to fix a bug, that's your business, not mine!

No one expects Cpanel to be AI, that's exactly what I mean!!! Why the hell does it think it does a better job than I do?

-Dario

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. carlgm

carlgm Well-Known Member

3. dariofg2

Re: Re: Cpanel thinks it always knows best! Part II

Because you don't know how to. This bug was blocking customers accounts on my server and would make me lose money in lost customers if I hadn't fixed it.

Stupid. I was talking about Cpanel developers. They're the ones supposed to be thinking.

I HAVE submitted the bug, TWICE! Have YOU ever submitted a bug to Cpanel? I don't think so. You would know by now that they don't give a damn.

-Dario

4. carlgm

carlgm Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Cpanel thinks it always knows best! Part II

:rolleyes: It's not my job to fix cpanel bugs.

Could you please not call me "Stupid". That is insulting and without justification of any sort.

Yes, I have submitted a bug report or two to CPanel and discussed some bugs with Nick sometime ago. Now I stay out of it and work on other things. Nick was very good at fixing the issue when I talked to him. As for tickets; getting better.

Maybe you should start thinking with a clear mind before you reply to anymore replies to this thread. However, that's totally up to you. Just don't expect your problem to be resolved or you to be listened to what-so-ever if you continue to insult me.

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would also agree on your main point, dariofg2 -- updates changing the immutable bit is just not right.

A better example, to explain this to people, would be the "cgi-sys/formmail" scripts. We all know they are insecure and Cpanel incudes them in every update. As the only way to protect oneself from people abusing them, they must be made "chmod 0" & "chattr +i" at all times. If Cpanel were to change those settings in anyway, the Formmail script could once again, be open for exploit with the Server owner/operator taking the blame for any mis-use.

I also find it curious that your other thread was closed. Makes no sense???

6. carlgm

carlgm Well-Known Member

That was a fun 10 minutes after the upgrade; which did that. Then we chattr +i it and also added blocks to formmail completely. Issue solved. :)

7. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

It makes sense. Dario was acting like a kid in there. If he had acted a bit more nicely, maybe it wouldn't be closed.

Make sense now?
    Dario's acting like a kid here, and yet you endorse it here. Makes no sense to me. I fail to see why I should respect him with a respectable answer till he cleans his mouth.

Brenden

8. dariofg2

Thanks, man! Finally someone gets what I'm saying.

I don't know why the other thread was closed. May the Cpanel folks didn't like me thrashing their product... I think it IS a good product, I just don't like the way some things are handled.

-Dario

9. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not sure about the reference to "clean his mouth", but I do know there are lots of others here with the attitude of "mine is bigger than yours" when someone tries to qualify that they know what they are doing or talking about.

If everyone could put it back in their pants then we could either; share by providing some useful input, not read this thread, or make some popcorn and just watch. ;)

Edit: to clarify that last part applies to everyone -- you too Dario. :)

#9 Website Rob, Aug 19, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  10. dariofg2

Well, I wasn't the first to get personal. I started angry at Cpanel, but then there's always someone to state an inappropriate and uninformed opinion to mess up the discussion.

-Dario

PS: yes, mine is bigger! :D

#10 dariofg2, Aug 19, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  11. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is your evidence that the current scripts are insecure?

12. Indy

Indy Member

This is pretty annoying, especially when you use a filesystem that doesn't support chattr +i. The only solution I have is to keep a list of everything that needs to be 'fixed' after an upgrade.

I don't know how feasible this idea is: what if we had a file that provided cPanel with some keyword based rules like:

ADD "accept domains = +relay_domains" AFTER "accept domains = +local_domains" IN "/etc/exim.conf"

REMOVE "if $header_from: contains \"@sexyfun.net\"" TO "endif" IN "/etc/antivirus.exim"

and when cPanel updates it would include the changes in the correct configuration file. I realise that something like this is easy to say but harder to do. But in a multi server environment I think it would be very useful.