The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel to cPanel New Hardware Migration

Discussion in 'Migrate to cPanel' started by feldon27, Apr 14, 2012.

1. feldon27

feldon27 Well-Known Member

I have also submitted this as ticket #2517478.

My existing server is cPanel/WHM 11.30.6 on RHEL 5.2 (32-bit).

Current data is approximately 90GB over 28 accounts. Some of those accounts have unique IPs, but the vast majority share the main IP.

I have purchased new server hardware which is cPanel/WHM on RHEL 5.x 64-bit.

I'm reasonably comfortable doing the EasyApache/PHP/MySQL etc. build scripts and should be able to set up a similar configuration on the new server to what I have on the old one. But I want to be absolutely certain that I can migrate all of the accounts, data, e-mails, etc. from the old server to the other with a minimum of downtime.

Question #1: I have not completed cPanel/WHM setup on the new server because I am not sure what hostname or nameservers to put. I wish to avoid any conflict/collision with my active server.

Question #2: After I have completed migration, can I change hostnames, DNS names, on the new server etc. to what they should be?

Question #3: The new server has a single shared IPv4 IP address. Should I migrate my dedicated IP accounts to the shared IP address BEFORE the migration? Or will the migration script handle this ok?

Question #4: The old server is RHEL 5.2 32-bit. The new server is RHEL 5.2 64-bit. Are there any considerations or things I need to watch out for in this case?

Question #5: Is "Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages from Another Server" sufficient to backup and restore public_html, permissions, IMAP/exim e-mail, FTP accounts, mailing lists, parked domains, subdomains, etc.?

Question #6: Is there an exhaustively detailed thread on the cPanel/WHM forums that fully documents this process? (and if not, why not? ;) )

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    1) You could use the same main server domain and nameservers even if you like using DNS clustering, but the hostname should be different.
    Old: feldon1.domainname.com New: feldon2.domainname.com

For example whatever your main domainname.com is on the old server, move/recreate if needed first on the new server. Then set the feldon.domainname.com in Basic cPanel & WHM Setup. Whatever your old nameservers are add those to the Basic cPanel & WHM setup page. Giving them new IPs of course.

2) Yes you can change hostname, nameservers as needed. This can be a little bit confusing but not too awful tough to get through. Look into this before anything else.
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

3) You could. The IP won't exist on the new server so it'll be sent to the main shared IP anyway I believe.

4) I can't properly answer this one. I think you'd be ok.

5) Yes it should. You could also edit your backup settings to use a remote server and send all backups directly to the new server. Then restore accounts from WHM.

6) I think there are many threads on moving servers. Fully documented? possibly not. Maybe you could take notes and create one and enjoy all the glory! :)

Basically, once the servers DNS zones are synced you can migrate the the accounts using the Transfer tools, then update the nameservers IP addresses in the zones and at the domain name registrar. Once you're sure everything is working as expected you should be able to remove the old server from the DNS cluster and kill it.

Please don't go by just this post though. Search the forums for more complete details, check the link above concerning DNS clustering, look up stuf on that and so on. And be sure you've got every single account backed up off server somewhere safe so no matter what you are protected.

3. feldon27

Thank you kindly for your response.

I am now starting this process and at step 2 I am already at a dead end.

My current server is feldon.feldoncentral.com.
    The new server is feldoncentrali7.feldoncentral.com.

I have gone through the WHM/cPanel setup on the new server, but I have no assurance it is set up correctly. When asked, I gave it my current DNS servers (ns1.feldoncentral.com and ns2.feldoncentral.com). Note that feldoncentrali7.feldoncentral.com does not currently resolve. I must access WHM via the IP address to reach it.

I ran through the DNS Clustering setup.

First, I tried setting the old server to "write only" and the new server to "standalone", but the DNS Path Diagram would not show both servers on both WHM screens, so I set it (reluctantly) to "Synchronize changes" on both servers, and now both the old and new server show under DNS Path Diagram, but they are "flip-flopped" on each.

The old server shows:

Code:
    DNS Path Diagram
         feldon.feldoncentral.com
                ↳ feldoncentrali7.feldoncentral.com
    The new server shows:

Code:
    DNS Path Diagram
         feldoncentrali7.feldoncentral.com
                ↳ feldon.feldoncentral.com
    Is this a problem or is this correct for what I am wanting? Am I ready to start moving accounts and settings over?

What steps do I need to do when I am finished moving all accounts to make the new server properly serve ns1.feldoncentral.com and ns2.feldoncentral.com?

#3 feldon27, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. feldon27

Well someone's reading this thread. Someone at 199.119.206.111 trying to brute force my cPanel/WHM.