The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Transition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rjaynes, Aug 5, 2008.

1. rjaynes

rjaynes Registered

Hello everyone!

We are considering moving our web hosting services to an in-house cPanel based system (we are an ISP/Telco). Our current web hosting service consists of a Windows 2003 server with IIS6 / PHP/ ASP/ MySQL. The current setup does work, but overall administration and feature friendly services are too hard to manage.

My main question is with DNS. Currently we have a master/slave DNS servers setup, and I know cPanel can handle it's own DNS. Has anyone handled transitioning from dedicated DNS servers to cPanel managed DNS? The biggest issue I see now is that we have to keep our current DNS servers in place for internal use, and simply because the amount of domains we host has our DNS servers set in their registrar. Simply asking everyone to update their DNS is going to be too much of an issue, so i'm trying to keep things simple on our side :)

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

When you move your name servers to new IP's (modify them at the Registrar), there aren't any changes that need to be made to the domains using those IP's. They will automatically look to the new IP's for their zone files. The biggest job you would have would be to configure the new cPanel install to handle all those zone files.

3. rjaynes

rjaynes Registered

I was mainly looking for have the cPanel servers AND our current DNS servers in place concurrently. Sorry if I didn't ask that specifically at first. What about changing our current DNS servers to have a "forwarders" command to point to the cPanel server?

4. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

I've never split it that way. I've always used two standard machines or moved from a standard server to cPanel and split name servers across other cPanel machines.
    Generally, if you've duplicated the zones on the cPanel install I'd move one of the name servers to the new machine and let it sit for a day. Then configure the new one as "master" and the old as "slave" and move sites but I'm not clear on exactly how that would work with the 'cluster' feature in cPanel. Be worth a try to manually configure remote access on the old machine and set that key in the 'cluster" for cPanel. Otherwise, I would think you can configure the 'master/slave' manually without using cPanel.
    You could use forwarding, I suppose. Never tried it that way. ;)