The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel update issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clrockwell, Feb 11, 2008.

1. clrockwell

clrockwell Member

Hello all,

I wanted to get some opinions/solutions to an issue that cpanel is causing lately. We are on a VPS, and recently a cpanel update overwrote our named.conf, causing a lot of mail issues and some seemingly unnecessary man-hours troubleshooting the issue. Our provider does not email every time an update takes place, since it is nightly. But when an update overwrites crucial files, the end-user needs to know.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced this? And if so, as an end-user, how did you solve it so that downtime was at a minimum? Is there a way to get a specific log from cpanel nightly, so that if an issue like this occurs, we can look through the log for everything cpanel overwrote/made changes to and resolve the issue much more quickly?

Even better, can we change the config so that cpanel is not allowed to overwrite a file like named.conf, or dns related files in general?

Thanks for any insight any one can provide.

Chris

2. Imai

Imai Well-Known Member

Yes, I had this problem last week.
    First thing I noticed was that named was not running on the name servers.
    I had thousands of mails in the queue and the customers were yelling.

I don't know exactly what fixed the problem because I went into the scripts directory and executed everything I thought was related.
    /scripts/fixndc
    /scripts/fixndc.new
    /scripts/fixrndc
    etc.

/scripts/fixrndc looks like it solves some permission issue on named.conf which was making it not possible to load the rndc keys.

Try that. I hope it helps

3. clrockwell

clrockwell Member

Imai, thanks for the response and your solution. I was able to resolve the issue once I noticed that recursion was set to 'no' in the named.conf, once I put in the allowed ip's and restarted bind everything is back to the way it was.

Did you receive any sort of notification that there was a possible issue? I think that if cpanel would simply supply a log (maybe they do, and I just need help finding it), I could have immediately accessed the log and traced down where the problem would have occured.

Any cpanel gurus out there with a system that lets them more quickly see where the issue is?

Also, can any one give me some insight as to why cpanel did/does this?

Thanks again,