The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel Update messed up email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jandafields, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When the automatic upcp ran last wednesday, it automatically forced all email accounts to convert to the new maildir without asking. This essentially caused all email to stop working, since it was putting new mail in various new folders that no clients know about. I downgraded upcp and it went back to mbox and started working again.

So, when it had converted to maildir, it was making a new file for every email inside of the "new" folder instead of inbox. So, the email clients such as outlook and squirrelmail did not know to look in that folder.

When I do finally update, will I have to go through every clients email and subscribe them to the "new" folder? Or can it be set to put those files into "inbox" folder instead?

Also, why does it automatically update to maildir without asking???

Thank you,
    Josh.

2. hostproof

hostproof Member

#2 hostproof, Jun 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  3. pqhost

pqhost Member

i converted to maildir last thursday and it's been a nightmare ever since. super high loads, exim goes down, emails not getting through.

4. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, I did not read the release notes before it upgraded, because it upgraded automatically without me realizing it. Otherwise, I would have first.

Outlook's IMAP subscribes to folders such as inbox, INBOX.Sent, etc. When you change those folders to "new", "cur", etc, Outlook does not check them for mail... so no new mail...

Why is maildir with so many conversion problems being pushed so hard (forced basically) when people are content using their stable trusted mbox???

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There is no functionality that will auto convert you to maildir. You have to run /scripts/convert2maildir for this to happen.

6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You're misunderstanding how IMAP works with maildir. The new mail detection algorithm is built into IMAP, it doesn't explicitly check the "new" directory as such. That's an implementation detail that is concealed by the IMAP client. If you start checking the "new" folder explicitly all sorts of trouble could break loose. If you're not receiving new email after the maildir update, you have other problems of some sort - it's always worked here, for all my users, although I updated to maildir many months ago.

7. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, so exim_maildir does some manipulation behind the scenes with folders and locations.

Please answer a few questions for myself and others here who are hesitant to switch to maildir because it is unknown and clients' email accounts are very important.

With the old mbox, there are no actual folders. There are multiple flat-files.

For example:
    inbox
    INBOX.Drafts
    INBOX.Trash
    custom1
    custom2

With maildir, there are 3 folders: cur, tmp, new. Those folders each have 1 file per mail inside them. That is easy to understand.

Does exim internally map new->inbox? What about our custom folders (custom flat files). Where are those messages now stored? Is there a new folder created that holds those? Do we subscribe directly to that custom folder, since it was mentioned do not subscribe to "new"?

Is there a separate version of exim for maildir? Is it possible for some accounts to use maildir while others use mbox? What actually tells exim which type to use? Will this affect the way that assp or smtp or pop3 or squirrelmail works? Why do so many people have problems after converting?

Answering these questions could help many of us that are being pushed by cpanel to convert but are reluctant for various reasons.

Thank you.