The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel update overwrites mailman config!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cyberspirit, Jan 28, 2004.

1. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

It appears that an update of cpanel overwrites the mm_cfg.py file as well which is a site wide configuration file for mailman and should never be updated unless edited!
    So if you wonder why suddenly defaults have changed or personalization is off in mailman and bounces do not work well then it might be that cpanel just wiped out your mm_cg.py.

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There's a real easy way to solve this
    chattr +i <filename> from within the linux shell. This will ensure that this specific file NEVER gets modified without your specific permisssion first.

3. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Twhitting,
    I know how to write protect files in linux but that is not the point. The point is that mailman uses a default config file and a site config file. mm_cfg.py is the site config file and should never be deleted or modified by any update.
    In fact when you do a manual mailman update it does not get overwritten.
    It would be nice if cpanel would preserve this file in the future otherwise very soon I have to chattr every single file on a cpanel system and that is not the solution!