Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel update wiped out custom Exim configuration

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by rpvw, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This TSR update rebuilt the Exim configuration back to the pre-autofixer (/scripts/autorepair exim_disable_chunking) configuration.

Was this intentional ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rclemings

rclemings Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to understand the thinking behind this.

Today's security update found a conflict with my custom Exim configuration. Fine, it happens. But then it went ahead and replaced my custom Exim with the default configuration. Whereupon about email for about 1,000 people became undeliverable, at least until I was able to shut down Exim and restore the custom stuff (except one SRS-related line that was the source of the problem).

Wouldn't it be better to:

1. Stop the update, roll back the changes and let me know about the problem.
    2. Finish the update, but take Exim down until the conflict can be resolved.
    3. Do pretty much anything other than replace the custom config with the default.

3. ciao70

ciao70 Active Member

4. rclemings

5. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wondering this too.

I just added

chunking_advertise_hosts=""

under the @config@ in /etc/exim.conf.local file and rebuilt the exim configuration with

/scripts/buildeximconf

I couldn't remember if this is something that cPanel fixed or if this was a custom fix I had put in place.

6. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. DennisMidjord

DennisMidjord Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

When cPanel updated last night, our Exim configuration on all servers seems to have been reset. We received an email with the subject "Unable to automatically update the exim configuration".

I looked through the upcp log and found this:

We haven't made any changes to srs_config, so I wonder why it's complaining about this setting.
    It wasn't just the ACL settings that were reset. Also SECTION: AUTH, Postmailcount, Transportstart where reset, which means our MailChannels configuration was gone and a bunch of our customers emails where flagged as spam.

The only thing I can found about srs_config is in the backup of exim.conf:
    It's not present in the new configuration on any of the new servers.

What is the cause of this?

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The specific change is noted in today's full disclosure of the recent security update:

A "Exim Update Failures" notification should have been sent via the configured contact method (WHM >> Contact Manager) if your Exim configuration was reset or could not be modified. Custom Exim configurations are automatically reset if they conflict with the changes associated with critical Exim updates. Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature if you need help applying the update or restoring specific custom changes to your Exim configuration file.

Thank you.

9. rclemings

I suspect my Exim problem had to do with my having implemented SRS manually before the cPanel version was ready. As a result, some of my earlier SRS customizations conflicted with the cPanel version. The security key may have been part/all of the problem.

In any case, what I'm really asking here is whether it's wise to overwrite everything with the default configuration in case of a conflict like this. I didn't know there was a problem until I got the notice to the contact email, and by then, mail was already failing, because my custom config referenced an aliases file that Exim's default configuration didn't know about.

I managed shut down Exim and got everything fixed before restarting it, as far as I can tell, but I would have preferred that the update process let me know about the conflict instead of just proceeding and overwriting my customizations.

10. DennisMidjord

DennisMidjord Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What exactly is required by us? Do we need to make any changes (other than revert the changes besides the srs_config setting)?

11. jamiepenner

jamiepenner Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We had a similar incident where all the Exim configurations were reset.

I had to restore the Exim configurations from the backup and delete the hide srs_config before saving.

12. jamiepenner

jamiepenner Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was just informed in my ticket that the development teams have already figured out what caused the issue and they are working on a fix.

13. cPanelJackson

cPanelJackson Release Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For any others experiencing this issue, this will restore your previous customized configuration while still providing the benefit of the protections from the TSR update.

Specifically:
    1. Go to the "Restore" tab of the WHM Exim Configuration Manager
    2. Click the "Restore" link next to the configuration backup created by the update
    3. Click the "Edit" button to edit the configuration backup
    4. Scroll down to the section with the "hide srs_config" config option and click the trash icon to the right
    5. Click "Save" at the bottom of the configuration editor
    CPANEL-18162 has been opened to address the underlying bug in the Exim Configuration Editor, and will be mentioned on our changelogs once the fix is available. When using the restore interface you may experience odd scrolling behavior, CPANEL-18183 has been opened to address this as well.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael and Infopro like this.