The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel upgrade removes previously compiled php extensions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djedery, May 9, 2005.

1. djedery

djedery Registered

Hi all,

I'm using WHM / Cpanel, courtesy of my web host. A while ago I compiled a few extensions (like LDAP) into PHP. Worked fine. Today I noticed that the extensions were gone. I called and asked my host, and they blamed it on Cpanel, which they said can sometimes undo compiled extensions when it upgrades itself nightly.

Is this true, and if so, how can I prevent this from occuring without forgoing the Cpanel upgrades??

2. Nickey

Nickey Member

Cpanel upgrades

You can: hope, pray (to Nick Koston :D ), scold Cpanel

But in fact, nightly upgrades really CAN do anything that is not registered (done) via Cpanel/WHM. It's absolutely ok - as Ben and other developers don't know anything of your customisations. They just make some changes and other updates.

All you can do - is do not make nightly upgrades if you have any custom features.
    Or just upgrade once a week or something like this and try to find out what was broken during this.

Thanks

3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

CPanel/WHM doesn't alter any settings to any system files by itself. Nightly upgrades are absolutely harmless and shouldn't be the cause of your problem. It is very likely that your host modify the settings of Php on the server, which affected your web site.

#3 AndyReed, May 9, 2005
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  4. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

cPAnel does NOT overwrite apache/php in nightly updates. This can only be done by easyapache

5. djedery

djedery Registered

conflict

looks like we've got some disagreement. i doubt my host did anything -- i've got a VPS, and no changes get made to it other than those *I* make, or those made by Cpanel.

Are the developers of Cpanel doing anything to address this? Seems nutty to have to constantly test your server for disappearing extensions!

6. djedery

djedery Registered

Perhaps it happened during a less frequent (weekly? monthly?) upgrade?

What is easyapache?

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

graphical screen used to build apache with modules, and php support

8. djedery

djedery Registered

talked to host

well, i talked to my webhost again. they insist that this has been a well-known problem with cpanel for some time now. they said there are hundreds of posts in forums on the subject. i hate being caught in the middle like this. ugh.

9. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Well, I guess it is time to find a different host.

10. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

Well I will say ther eis always a possibility of a bug, however I dont see any bugs or tickets for it so I cant replicate it or work on it.

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Always be wary of hosts that blame the software rather than simply providing their own fix. cPanel isn't really that difficult from a server administration point of view (complex certainly) but most of the actual applications used outside of the UI are all open source and available for anyone to learn. Usually such sweeping claims from a hosting provider highlight their lack of knowledge and investment in understanding the OS and the apps that run on it. As Andy said, you're probably finding the lmits of your host and should consider moving on.