The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel upgraded - SQL databases LOST!

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Handy Harry, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Handy Harry

Handy Harry Registered

Hi all,

I'm new here so I hope I post this message in the right forum. My webhost recently upgraded my cPanel version to '11.24.5-STABLE' and consequently all SQL databases were LOST! :eek:

Also I cannot find a way how to create them anymore. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance..

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    have you opened a support ticket with your web host provider? If not I recommend you do so. System level access will certainly help in this case.

3. Handy Harry

Handy Harry Registered

I have, but I am having some troubles with the webhost since they were taken over by another company and don't seem to spend time solving customer problems.. I will move to another host as soon as possible, but thought/hoped I could solve this myself.

4. BMR777

BMR777 Member

Depending on how your host backed up the server before the upgrade, the databases may have been lost. CPanel has a long-standing bug where databases with a large amount of tables will be deleted whenever the server is moved or upgraded. If you attempt to back up the database using CPanel's backup feature, the database will also fail to be backed up.

I suggest that you use either SSH or PHPMyAdmin to back up your databases. Also, open the file in Wordpad or another text editor once you download and make sure all of the data is there. I've had this same loss of data happen to me about a half dozen times over the years as various hosts of mine have upgraded or changed servers. The CPanel backup system just doesn't work right when it comes to large MySQL databases.

5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Upon searching internally I was unable to locate an active, known issue report matching the provided description. For verification and internal follow-up, please PM me with the reference ID number such as a ticket ID number of a support request for the described issue. If no support request was submitted and if what you described is an active issue that is being experienced please do submit a ticket so the precise circumstances and surrounding factors can be investigated thoroughly.

Per the original post of this thread there are numerous possible factors that could be involved; consequently, the symptoms cannot be generalized into one defining cause without first having carefully investigated via direct access to the server. Hardware issues can arise as can software misconfiguration or file system corruption; the symptoms in the original post require in-depth and direct, hands-on inspection to accurately diagnose and troubleshoot, of which the upstream web hosting service provider is in the best position to investigate.