The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel use php from RHE red hat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by budway, Nov 4, 2005.

1. budway

budway Well-Known Member

I would like to know why cpanel does not set to use the patched php from the RHE?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Why would it? WHM allows you to compile php from source with various options to suit your environment. It also has to be cross-platform for cPanel to maintain.

3. budway

budway Well-Known Member

Than I would be sure to get a php update that would work with previous script/software.

It's really a pain to work with the ventor that does release security updates but if you update from 4.3* to 4.4.1 it will break many customers scripts/software.

I tought I didn't have to say this but the industry webhost/cpanel has to adoth it's default settings support only a few OS linux systems and windows it useless and a waste of money to support all linux distro.

But hey that's my opnion.... what's yours?

4. Gareth

Gareth Well-Known Member

why is it a waste of money to support all linux distro's?

you saying that for example if you have rhe3 its ok but if you have freebsd tough find yourself another control panel?

Who decides which distros are supported and which are not..you

cPanel is a business they will want to support as many distro's as possible

5. budway

budway Well-Known Member

I was not refering to bsd but others...

Exactly a biz has to only support the distro that bring their money and are use by majority.

Why support distro that has 1-10% usage?

6. Gareth

Gareth Well-Known Member

Because it does bring them money 1-10%

Those distro can grow in popularity, why wait until you have everyone screaming at you to make a distro, when you can make it earlier, without the "Rush"

I run a webhosting business, if one client asks me to install something that they need, as long as it will not interfere with other software, and there are no security threats, I will install it. Why? Because they are likely to go elsewhere otherwise.

Am I supposed to say no just because it is one client out of hundreds?

7. budway

budway Well-Known Member

Ok great...

Let's offer several linux distro that I'm sure has less than 10% of usage base.

And leave a windows version in developement for years.

As I company I take words of client's very serius I'm only saying this to cpanel because I care and after they restricted their support ticket......

DC can put presure on customers to change to another controle painel that does offer support our does not break stable release.

Many of the breaks with stable release is due to the dev. in multi. linux distro say this does not afect serius distro is noyve.

And I actually tought that I would not have to explains my suggestions to cpanel and their forum users... (I actually tought people would think for a sec)...

Any way that's my last reply

8. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Most of the problems that people have with cpanel are due to the server owner/admin not being familier with server administration and for some reason seem to think that a control panel is the only thing they need and they can become a immediate web hosting service.

Cpanel is a tool that assists the server admin in managing the server by automating SOME NOT ALL of the day to day adjustments/modifications to the configuration files of the various modules. Anyone that expects cpanel or any other control panel to do all the work for them is going to be unhappy and upset. Simply put if your going to try to run linux/unix and host websites and other web services from it for profit then you had better either know how to administrate the server or hire someone that does because if you have neither of the 2 choices then you will have problems.

I have been running cpanel for a long time and also running the EDGE versions of cpanel and very seldom have any bugs/problems that require more than 5 min to fix and not many that require fixing at all.

For the people that bash/degrade cpanel and the developers-- Learn how to administrate the server or write your own control panel. If neither one of those suits you then by all means exercise your right to use something else but I am getting sick of hearing people bash cpanel when the real issue is their lack of skills in using cpanel/linux/unix

9. budway

budway Well-Known Member

go ahead and attack me

#9 budway, Nov 6, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No-one is attacking you personally, they're simply countering your arguments for cPanel supporting a wide range of OS distributions. As to the percentages, you'd have to ask cPanel otherwise it's pur speculation.

11. Gareth

Gareth Well-Known Member

I was not attacking you. I'm sorry if you felt I was.

I was just expressing my view.

12. budway

budway Well-Known Member

Ok ok....

I give a postive feedback and a comment and you go on and on about server admin?

Any way I accept your apology best of the luck!