The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel user - not webhost SSL Manager?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by torn88, Nov 26, 2004.

1. torn88

torn88 Registered

Hello,

In my cPanel for my domain I have the option for SSL Manager.

I generated the key, generated the CSR and obtained a certificate. I then pasted it in and throughout this process....no errors or problems.

I can visit http://subdomain.mydomain.net no prob. When I try https://.......

I get Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

.... my webhost added the feature for me so I could take care of my SSL cert on my own.

Note: I've seen many similar things on this site...but that require WHM or shell (root) access. I am only their customer and therefore *only* have my cPanel.

Thanks

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    without more info hard to tell whats wrong

I asume your host did give you a dedicated ip

3. torn88

torn88 Registered

Update

:confused: Yes I do have a dedicated IP for my domain.

cPanel build is --> 9.9.8-CURRENT 146
    cPanel theme --> cPanel X v2.5.0 (just in case it matters, I don't see how it would)

Also...he added the SSL Manager option to my cPanel account so I didn't need to bug him about my SSL certs.

When I go to the SSL Manager I have the three choices....
    1) Private Keys
    2) Certificate Signing Requests
    3) Certificates

I can see the installed keys/certs (yes, and the CSRs) ... I tried to delete everything to start all over from scratch including getting a new certificate. Here is the result (I choose delete keys because it also removes the CSR's and certs......but I have to remove each on their own as well...similar message).

*** Begin paste ***
    SSL Manager

Key Deleted
    The key for <my.domaineditedout.net> has been deleted.
    The Key for <my.domaineditedout.net> cannot be fully deleted, because it is installed in the system ssl directory!
    The Certificate Signing Request for <my.domaineditedout.net> cannot be fully deleted, because it is installed in the system ssl directory!
    The Certificate for <my.domaineditedout.net> cannot be fully deleted, because it is installed in the system ssl directory!

***End paste ***

If I don't have access (root or root level priv.....in fact, no SSH to the machine as security measure there is simply *no* shell access period) to edit the httpd.conf, so is there another way to tell apache to look in my /home/<myhomedir>/ssl (which is where cpanel puts the ones I create/upload)?

Seems to me to be a bug in cPanel ... code miswritten in two ways:
    1) The VirtualHost I'm positive points to the root of my domain (..../public_html/) instead of ..../public_html/<subdomain>/ ----> I've seen enough posts on this to bet my life on it lol
    2) The VirtualHost directive points SSLCert....... fields to the system dir (ex: /usr/share/ssl) instead of /home/<userdir>/ssl/

Maybe someone from cPanel will read this and give me/my webhost some workaround.

I feel bad because I'm literally harassing my webhost to get this working and he's doing everything he can to help me out and has been excellent but I fear he's going to get upset with me and just ignore me for awhile ;).

4. fusioncroc

fusioncroc Well-Known Member

this is what is happening to me grrrrrrrr
    i hope theres a fix in the next current or edge

5. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    well it looks like you trying to install on the subdomain

install the cert on the main domain

then it will probably work correctly