The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel user permission issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tim Hysniu, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Tim Hysniu

Tim Hysniu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All,

I have a dedicated server where cPanel is installed.
    I have had a cPanel user1 setup for a while. Under this user I have many addon domains added where the path for each site is in /home/user1/public_html/[addon_domain]

Today I created user2 using WHM.
    This created a directory in /home/user1/user2/ where all user2 sites are in /home/user1/user2/public_html/[addon_domain]

Somehow user2 is a child of user1. While this is confusing I am fine with it.
    The problem is that addon domains that I add don't work. I am getting this in logs:

[Fri Nov 13 15:17:00 2015] [error] [client 64.68.39.4] SoftException in Application.cpp:594: Directory /home/user1 is not owned by user2
    [Fri Nov 13 15:17:00 2015] [error] [client 64.68.39.4] Premature end of script headers: test.php

On browser I am seeing Internal Server Error.

Any ideas what's going on?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :),

There is something wrong on your cPanel/WHM configuration because WHM is creating new account home directory under the first user home directory and it's not correct behavior of cPanel/whm. Normally cPanel is creating new user under /home directory but on your server it's creating new user home directory under first user home directory and that is the reason you are getting this error with your site.

I will suggest you please contact one of system admin to check your server setting OR place a ticket to cPanel support team.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please check to see what values you have configured for the following options in "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Basic cPanel & WHM Setup":

Enter the location where you wish for new users’ home directories to be created. By default all directories matching the "Home Directory Prefix" are checked for available disk space and the directory with the most free space will be used.

Additional home directories matching the following value will also be used for new home directory creations. (Leaving this value blank disables the feature.) This option only takes one value.

Thank you.