The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel user. SFTP uploads, but not FTP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DBJoshua, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DBJoshua

DBJoshua Active Member

Hey guys,

Weird issue I'm facing. If a user (full cPanel user, not addon FTP), logs in using normal FTP, in Binary or Passive, a file will not upload. If he conects via SFTP, it works just fine. I've tested this on a brand new account as well.

/var/log/messages just produces the logins, no other messages show up.

Thoughts/Ideas?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The use of a third-party firewall application (e.g. CSF, APF) is the most common reason for FTP uploads failing. Do you have a firewall installed on this system? If so, please check it's configuration to ensure the port required for FTP is open. A full list of the ports that should be open with cPanel can be found at:

Getting the most out of your system's firewall.

Thank you.

3. DBJoshua

DBJoshua Active Member

Hi Michael,

Yup, I do have CSF installed, but port 21 is open incoming/outgoing TCP/UDP. All of the ports listed on that site are open :)

It does connect to FTP. I can get as far as starting to upload a file, and that's where it jams up. I can browse folders/view files without a problem. Just can't download/upload.

4. DBJoshua

DBJoshua Active Member

Got it! Michael was on the right track. For those who might still be looking for the answer, you need to go into your ftp service's conf file, uncomment the passiveports line, and enter those ports into CSF. All good now.