The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel user SSH key creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hostmill, May 15, 2014.

1. Hostmill

Hostmill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all

Having some trouble setting up SSH to have account holders access the server via SFTP only. I created a user account and logon to its Cpanel, where I create SSH keys and they appear to be created correctly although when I go into the Manage SSH keys page it states "No keys installed" both public and private.

Any ideas as to what might be preventing the keys from being created successfully? I have Mod_ruid2 and DSO running if that helps. I have also tried creating the keys manually from the shell and adding them to the users authorized_keys file and have not succeeded with this either.

Cheers

2. Hostmill

Hostmill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just tried importing an existing key and got the following error message "Could not write key to /home/user/.ssh/id_dsa.pub".

So is it that I have to create this file first or is this a permissions issue? If so what should the perms be for the .ssh directory?

Assuming that this is the issue of course.

Cheers

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel users can use SFTP by default, not changes needed. They will need to know the proper port number though.

cPanel > Files section > FTP Accounts > Special FTP Accounts section at bottom of this page.

To the right of the main cPanel users name there, click Configure FTP Client to find options and manual settings details.

You'll note the SFTP port listed there.

4. Hostmill

Hostmill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have password auth turned off and want to force my clients to use SFTP with keys. I am attempting to simulate the process of setting up a new account as a test before going live.

Still no luck :(