cPanel v11 - stage 2 - STABLE

sehh

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2006
579
6
168
Europe
The date for the stage 2 upgrade of STABLE installations has been pushed forward to the 30th of October.

I've disabled automatic updates and i'll wait for the upgrade to happen to others first and see what kind of problems arise, before making the jump myself.

I'd like to ask those who run RELEASE and had their systems upgraded to stage 2, if they had any problems and if yes what kind and how they solved them.

Thank you.
 

Bailey

Well-Known Member
Aug 12, 2001
120
1
318
Wisconsin
We've been running on it for months, on Current, with no problems. Re-enable your automatic updates and join the land of the living. :) You're already in the dark enough, being on stable. :D (just teasing you!!)

Seriously though, it's FINE, don't put off updating your server over worrying that the software hasn't been tested. It's being used on thousands of production servers 24/7 already, and has been for months now. cPanel ALWAYS has bugs; you're not going to avoid any new unseen v11 issues by not upgrading.

:D Bailey
 

matthewdavis

Well-Known Member
Jun 26, 2003
90
0
156
NC, USA
I've been running RELEASE for sometime now. The x3 skin is very nice and customer response has been great. I haven't jumped to apache 2.x yet. I upgraded my testbox and had a few custom options added to the apache config. Those were lost after the upgrade. It seems the apache config file is rebuilt automatically by cPanel. And any changes you make manually, must be 'checked-in'. But I've had different results with that.

For example, I added a custom SSL host using manual built ssl keys. And after a rebuild of the apache config, that domain was lost.

So if you don't make any changes to the apache config, it seems the upgrade to 2.x is seamless.
 

sehh

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2006
579
6
168
Europe
Thank you both for your answers, i'll run the update manually during the weekend after stage 2 is rolled over, so i'll have time to fix any problems that might occur.

I haven't done any changes to the apache domains other than some minor changes to the generate settings like KeepAlive, MaxClients etc.
 

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
4,607
79
458
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Manually added VHosts, meaning those that are not owned by a cPanel account, will needed added via an Include statement in the httpd.conf file. Only cPanel owned and the Default VirtualHosts will be added to httpd.conf
 

sehh

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2006
579
6
168
Europe
thanks matthew, very interesting reading.

Due to the wide variety of options and nearly infinite number of possible
configurations, creating a non-functional configuration is a distinct possibility.
Migrating an Apache 1.x configuration to an Apache 2.x configuration is no
simple matter. We've attempted to fully abstract this process to simplify the
transition while retaining as much information as possible. Due to the large
number of possible configurations, we can't possibly test and verify compatibility
for all. There will always be exceptions, but for the vast majority of users, the
Apache configuration system will create a valid working setup. If a working
configuration cannot be found based upon your current settings, then cPanel's
software takes the route of "do no harm" and will attempt to restore your
previously working configuration and alert you of the issue.
so the question is: how can i check beforehand that my httpd.conf won't break the entire process? I've only made a few minor changes.
 

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
3,481
35
208
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
thanks matthew, very interesting reading.



so the question is: how can i check beforehand that my httpd.conf won't break the entire process? I've only made a few minor changes.
If it does break, ea3 will revert you back to your previous setup.
 

sehh

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2006
579
6
168
Europe
yeah i know that, thats what it says above in the quote.

is there a way to make sure i've got a good configuration BEFORE the update process starts?

So i can avoid an upgrade failure and ending up with apache 1.x again, which would then require to manually re-do the apache 2.x upgrade.