The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel v11 - stage 2 - STABLE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sehh, Oct 16, 2007.

1. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

The date for the stage 2 upgrade of STABLE installations has been pushed forward to the 30th of October.

I've disabled automatic updates and i'll wait for the upgrade to happen to others first and see what kind of problems arise, before making the jump myself.

I'd like to ask those who run RELEASE and had their systems upgraded to stage 2, if they had any problems and if yes what kind and how they solved them.

Thank you.

2. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

We've been running on it for months, on Current, with no problems. Re-enable your automatic updates and join the land of the living. :) You're already in the dark enough, being on stable. :D (just teasing you!!)

Seriously though, it's FINE, don't put off updating your server over worrying that the software hasn't been tested. It's being used on thousands of production servers 24/7 already, and has been for months now. cPanel ALWAYS has bugs; you're not going to avoid any new unseen v11 issues by not upgrading.

:D Bailey

3. matthewdavis

matthewdavis Well-Known Member

I've been running RELEASE for sometime now. The x3 skin is very nice and customer response has been great. I haven't jumped to apache 2.x yet. I upgraded my testbox and had a few custom options added to the apache config. Those were lost after the upgrade. It seems the apache config file is rebuilt automatically by cPanel. And any changes you make manually, must be 'checked-in'. But I've had different results with that.

For example, I added a custom SSL host using manual built ssl keys. And after a rebuild of the apache config, that domain was lost.

So if you don't make any changes to the apache config, it seems the upgrade to 2.x is seamless.

4. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your answers, i'll run the update manually during the weekend after stage 2 is rolled over, so i'll have time to fix any problems that might occur.

I haven't done any changes to the apache domains other than some minor changes to the generate settings like KeepAlive, MaxClients etc.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Manually added VHosts, meaning those that are not owned by a cPanel account, will needed added via an Include statement in the httpd.conf file. Only cPanel owned and the Default VirtualHosts will be added to httpd.conf

6. matthewdavis

matthewdavis Well-Known Member

7. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

thanks matthew, very interesting reading.

so the question is: how can i check beforehand that my httpd.conf won't break the entire process? I've only made a few minor changes.

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If it does break, ea3 will revert you back to your previous setup.

9. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

yeah i know that, thats what it says above in the quote.

is there a way to make sure i've got a good configuration BEFORE the update process starts?

So i can avoid an upgrade failure and ending up with apache 1.x again, which would then require to manually re-do the apache 2.x upgrade.

10. sarhosting

sarhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    We use cPanel stable - however - we dont use apache 2.x.x I dont think it's stable enough yet so we like apache 1.3 works fine does what we need. :)