Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Cpanel + Vmware server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragon2611, May 4, 2008.

1. dragon2611

dragon2611 Well-Known Member

Anyone running Vmware server with cpanel running on the host machine?

Would be interested to know what the performance is like and if you ran into problems?

I installed Vmware server and booted Damn small linux in it to make sure it works ok (It does) but I'm currently unsure if I want to deploy anything onto Vmware yet.

I have a 1.6ghz Quad-core xeon (VT is enabled)
    2gb ram
    2x 250gb hard-drives in Raid1
    Centos 5 x64
    Cpanel/whm

Will host ~55 small(ish) websites that I'm moving over from a rented 3Ghz dual core p4 (2gb ram single 250gb hdd Load average hits 1.4 at times but it usually hovers around 0.6 - 0.7 on the p4)

It's hosting Sites for myself and friends, I don't want to pay for 2 physical servers at this time so everything shall be moved over to the xeon

Just wandering if the system would be able to handle a VM or maybe 2 as well as running the sites on the Host or It would be to much for it? (I'd set the VM to 1 processor, so that only 1 core gets used for each VM and I only want to run 1 or 2)

I can upgrade the Ram if needed, the server is capable of talking a 2nd Cpu but I have no plans to get one at this time.

2. hydra

hydra Well-Known Member

Hi,

No problem with VMWare and hosting panels.
    I am running it for almost 2 years now.
    For what you want to do with the server i think you will not have problems.

Ronald.

3. dragon2611

Been playing around with it over the past day or so as I thought i'd take the oppertunity to play with it before I move the sites across.

There are only 2 sites migrated across at the moment, one's mine and ones one of my teams so perfect time to try Vmware and not worry about the performance impact ;)

The only thing I did notice was the First OS I tried in a VM (centos 5 x64 as it was in the servers dvd drive) causes one of the cpu cores to sit on iowait constantly.

Not sure if it's becuase it was a 64bit os or what.

4. vpsville

vpsville Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Have you thought about just renting a VPS with cPanel installed? It might save you a lot of time and hassle.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dragon2611

Figured out the iowait problem was something to with centos 5 x64