The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel vs. Windows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hosts-com, Nov 7, 2005.

?

Which Web Management Software would you use?

1. cPanel

100.0%
  2. Windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hosts-com

hosts-com Member

We have servers in Illinois and Detroit. The back-
    Hi, I work for CP Hosts.com is thinking about adding Windows Hosting. But this is going to be a pretty big investment and we specialize mainly in cPanel. We just wanted to know a few things from the public before we start integrating Windows Hosting with our website:

1. What differences are there from cPanel and Windows?
    2. Which one offers more power and control over the website and how?
    3. Vote in the poll on which one you would prefer!

We appreaciate all input!

2. Gareth

Gareth Well-Known Member

A big one.

Windows is an operating system and cPanel is a Control Panel not an operating system.

Should the question not be something like:

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

These are easy questions.
    1. What differences are there from cPanel and Windows?

cPanel is a control panel you run on top of a quality OS like Linux or FreeBSD. "Windows" is what you throw the box through after you get done tring to run something called "windows"

2. Which one offers more power and control over the website and how.
    cPanel on Linux or FreeBSD offers control ..period. Windows takes control and shows you blue!!!

3. Vote in the poll on which one you would prefer!
    sure ..but I only see one choice that doesn't contain a term that might be related to MicroShaft.

4. hosts-com

hosts-com Member

So Windows should not be invested in?

5. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only reason I would ever run windows (on a server or otherwise) is if I had no choice, because some application I wanted to run required the Windows OS. To be honest, I don't know a lot about windows, but I think this would likely be the case if I wanted to offer my clients things like ASP, MSAccess or MSSQL database services.

After that decision was made, then you might want think about whether or not you wanted to offer your clients a control panel, and if that were true you would look for some similar application to cPanel that would run on your windows-based server.

best luck :)

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Too be fair, you're asking this poll on a forum of "diehard" cPanel people and *nix based admins. You are not really going to get a fair poll. Same would apply if you had this poll on the helm forum, they would be pro-windows and anti-linux primarily.

7. hosts-com

hosts-com Member

Yeah, you do make a point....

8. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

We had the same demand for windows hosting solutions and commissioned some windows servers running plesk. Especially the corporate customers seem to want to use it for their ASP.Net development and MS Sql.

Personally I do prefer cPanel on centOS , which is much more powerful then M$.
    I strongly would suggest to use a hardware firewall if your are going to use some windows boxes.

So in my opinion it really depends on the demand of your clientele, but diversifying your offerings is always a good idea.

9. Zaf

Zaf Well-Known Member

As already suggested earlier, this question itself is wrong and therefore I wouldnt vote, sorry. Btw, choosing Windows as a hosting platform would be more need based than personal choice for most (not all) sys admins (atleast on this particular forum). ASP/ASP.Net/SQL/Access or rather most technologies driven by MS work on a Windows Box only.
    So, if you have the demand from clients, dont wait for them to look elsewhere, just go for it.

On a side note, Windows is not all that bad....it only crashes a few dozen times a year if you maintain it well by having the latest system patches in place...oh ya and dont forget you need to reboot everytime you patched it.

10. Escaflowne

Escaflowne Active Member

If you want to offer hosting based on Windows, you should use HELM as the control panel. HELM works rather slowly, but it's quite stable. And it has it's own error logs.
    If you want to offer Windows based hosting, first get the knowledge about it. Knowledge about the MS technologies.
    And one more thing: permissions in Windows (NTFS) are a pain in the... you know where :)

11. jcws649

jcws649 Member

People use Windows Servers to run games... I havent seen many people running websites from a windows based server. "Microsoft" haha. :p