The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel warning is politically incorrect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghoti, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ghoti

ghoti Member

Hey,

Just thought I would share this. Seems we have some Chinese mainland programmers working on cPanel as I see politics is now involved in the coding.

I got this regular hack attempt from the brute force protection:

Taiwan is not a Province of China. It is its own independent country.

Let me quote wiki to highlight the issue with the above error:

Taiwan, China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont want to be supporting PRC propaganda by supporting this product. Could it be corrected?

2. cPanelAP

cPanelAP cPanel Chief Business Officer
    Staff Member

Greetings,

Believe me when I say we have no political motivations behind this and wish to be politically correct in our software. Would the correct description be as follows:

Origin Country: Taiwan (TW)

I appreciate your response and will internally discuss this once I receive a reply from you.

3. cPanelKenSmith

cPanelKenSmith Registered
    Staff Member

Hi Ghoti,

I wanted to clarify that cpanel is written by the dev team that is all located in Houston Texas, US at our main office. As Aaron pointed out, there is no political motivation behind the text you're seeing. That text comes from a freely available public GeoIP database that is used with the Geo::IPfree perl module.

You can read up on that module here:
    Geo::IPfree - search.cpan.org

The text there points out:
    An updated version of the database can be obtained by visiting the Webnet77 website: FREE IP to Country Database (IPV4 and IPV6).

The search tool on that website marks the country for ip 124.11.19.106 as "Taiwan; Republic of China (ROC)"

So you see, cpanel it self has nothing to do with the text reported, it's a 3rd party database to us that just happens to be used by the geoip module we're using on cpan. If any changes can/will be made to that data, Aaron will head up the internal discussion on it as he's pointed out once you answer him.