The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel webmail is not the same as browser retrieved webmail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by realnewbie, Jul 10, 2010.

1. realnewbie

realnewbie Registered

Hello cPanel Group, realnewbie here.

I have taken on a small Reseller task to host local Community Sites and am therefore a 'real' newbie with cPanel.

My problem is the way cPanel appears to handle email as follows:

Logging into cPanel port 2082 and checking email the port changes to 2095 and Squirrelmail shows no emails received when emails have been sent to "that" account (say from user@theirdomain.com).

cPanel does not request users to login via their users@theiruserdomain + email password, when invoking 'Check webmail.'

Going to webmail by browser, any user@theirdomain.com at port 2096 (https), can see their emails sent are there?

Using desktop emailers these emails can be received/sent without problems using a simple POP account, no SSL.

They never turn up, however, in the cPanel link to webmail??

I have Googled and searched this Forum but can find no solution? It seems logical that both cPanel>webmail & browser>webmail should retrieve the same data? The Hosting Company agreed what is happening, when they checked, but gave no solution or explanation.

It would seem that if Browser>webmail is port 2096 then cPanel>webmail should also access this port and not stay on 2095?

I can only think that checking email via cPanel uses the 'login default of user (cPanel login) + password for cPanel?' That is catching emails not correctly addressed to the user?

Is this correct? And, apart from RTFM, does cPanel work this way? i.e. cPanel webmail 'catches' wronguser@theirdomain.com

If so, it's somewhat misleading??

regards

realnewbie

2. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

In cPanel, clicking on the Webmail icon only logs you into the cPanel username account, which is the catchall account for emails sent either to that user or if you have "Default Address" set to go to the account (rather than to fail or delete).

The default address is how email will handle any non-existing email accounts that someone sends to your domain. Normally, most people have the default address set to :fail: (bounce back to user) or :blackhole: (delete). As for why you might receive emails for a non-existing email account on your domain, many spammers in an attempt to reach some account to advertise will pick out random words such as random@yourdomain.com and admin@yourdomain.com in hopes of getting their spam to you. Thus, most people have their default address set to fail so they receive less spam.

Now, if you want to reach individual email account webmail, it would be in cPanel > Email Accounts area by clicking on the "More" dropdown to the far right and selecting "Access Webmail" there.

Finally, the reason you are getting port 2095 for webmail (the non-secure webmail) is that you are clicking on Webmail in cPanel when logged in on 2082, which is the non-secure cPanel port. If you were logged into cPanel on port 2083, the https port, then it would redirect to 2096. It will still be logging you into the cPanel username account, though, since that Webmail icon only logs you into that account.

#2 Miraenda, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. realnewbie

realnewbie Registered

Thank you very much for your concise explanation, Miraenda. I had come to think this was the case but you explain so beautifully!

regards

realnewbie

(PS I like your motto: reminds me of College: 'concordia res parvae crescunt' .. 'In harmony small things grow')

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

You are very welcome, and thank you for the kind words on how I explained it.

I love Latin mottos. I hadn't heard the one you mentioned before, but that is a cool motto. I'll have to remember it for future reference :)