Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel & Webmin together

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobbnh, Apr 26, 2018.

1. bobbnh

bobbnh Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm pretty new to cPanel and have 2 new servers running the latest version of cPanel on CentOS 7 VPS. However, I find cPanel lacking in many areas that I'm used to using in Webmin. cPanel is strong when it comes to user level control panel, but boy it's lacking on the server end. Yes I know I should know more command line stuff, but I don't.

Couple of those items are a Root level Cron manager (cPanel does not have one), root level file manager, hardware, etc etc. As you probably guessed already, I am not a server guy and I don't claim to be. So my question is can Webmin reside on the same server with cPanel if I'm only using it mostly for a file manager and cron manager? I don't ever plan on making configuration changes via Webmin.... I know I'll get lots of it's not recommended but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking can the 2 live together peacefully if Webmin is only used as a file manager and cron job manager mostly.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @bobbnh

As you may have expected we don't support servers that have both Webmin and cPanel installed. I did take the liberty of finding you some other threads which discuss this same subject:

Webmin and Cpanel together
    Webmin and cPanel on same VPS?
    Can I run webmin and cpanel on the same server?

I also want to point out that if cPanel is lacking for you in some ways we want to know about it. I know for a fact there's a feature request for some of the issues you've noted and I urge you to go to the feature request site using the link in my signature and add your vote to the ones you'd like to see become a part of cPanel:

For root level crons:
    WHM (root) CRON Jobs

WHM File Manager:
    WHM File Manager with access to /

If there are other points which you find difficult I'd love to have the opportunity to try and find you the right location to go to within WHM/cPanel or let you know if you should open a feature request/become a part of a current discussion on one.

Thank you,

3. bobbnh

bobbnh Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Lauren, thank you for the reply... I do appreciate it and I thank you for the links, but a wish list doesn't help me in the present. If you don't support Webmin being installed along side of cPanel are there any plug-ins that a novice like me can use for these task since doing them from the command line is above my pay grade? What are my options beside paying someone every time I want a small task done. I really do wish cPanel was as strong on the Admin side as it is on the user side. Should I simply dump cPanel and go full board Webmin? I don't really want to do that.... since from a user perspective cPanel is the tool everyone wants. ROCK AND A HARD PLACE HERE. :)

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @bobbnh

As stated in the threads I provided you while it's not supported (meaning cPanel support is limited in what they can assist you with and some behavior may be unintended) it doesn't mean you can't install it. From the look of the other threads it appears several have been able to successfully install them side by side.

I know that ConfigServer has a file system explorer that might be useful:
    cPanel App Catalog :: ConfigServer Explorer

As for a WHM based cron manager you can do some things through WHM at WHM>>Server Configuration>>Configure cPanel Cron Jobs but it will only manage cron jobs for the upcp, backup and cpbackup crons

I don't see anything present for whm based crons listed at the plugins site but I did find some other resources that might help you (though I am not 100%)
    Free WHM plugin: Users Cron Manager | Web Hosting Talk

But 3rd party plugins while they can definitely be used are not something cPanel support can provide support for either, you'd need to go to ConfigServer's support for assistance with that.

It's possible some of the items you'd like to see in WHM are on the way or already present which is why I had asked for some of the things you find lacking within cPanel.

Thank you,

5. bobbnh

bobbnh Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Greatly appreciate the reply and the resources.... Don't get me wrong, cPanel is great.... and if I was more proficient with the command line... I wouldn't need these other tools. It is totally my lack of knowledge in this area. My server admin passed away so I'm trying to do this stuff myself. Thank you for your patience.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi Bob, this link should be helpful to you, useful add-ons:

ConfigServer Services

You don't need webadmin, trust me on this. :)