The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel / WHM clustering..

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fizz, May 22, 2007.

1. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

Working on setting up some new servers, but would love the ability to "replicate" data between two servers, similar to how your able to do with IIS and WS2K3. I see some DNS clustering options in WHM, and also a DNS Only cPanel Server, but not sure this is what I'm looking for. Basically, I want something to fail over to in case of a hardware failure or something of that nature. Is it possible to have anything like this currently or perhaps a 3rd party addon/module to handle this kind of setup?

Thanks in Advance...

2. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

Ok, so I kind of answered my own question with alot of reading. cPanel doesnt directly support replication/clustering of data for redundancy. There are alot of solutions out there, but most are expensive and complicated.

I'm guessing the majority of you all just use RAID mirroring/hot spare, and of course backups? Im just trying to figure out the best plan of action to go forward with. I have a good idea of specs for a couple machine, unfortunately, there will be a windows setup also to support the 10-15 people we currently have with ASP/.NET/C#/MSSQL/Ect.

Any additional input to this topic would be great.

Kelly

3. cass

cass Well-Known Member

Cpanel is not so "cluster" friendly as other cp's.

But... you can run mysql no a second server.
    as well as you can run many dns servers.
    just that.

You can use one of this superb expensive cluster solutions and install cpanel on it.

Or you can do for example, 2 servers one with a RAID 10, with 4 disks for system (then you have good speed and data mirror) you can also have another disk for backups, or done in a partition on this.
    and then the second server for mysql, with also a RAID 10 (or RAID 5) with some 10k/15k SAS disks, connect them on LAN, setup cpanel.
    and you can have a fast setup running cpanel.

Regards.