The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel/WHM Domain Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nicotine, Feb 6, 2006.

1. nicotine

nicotine Registered

Greetings,

I have recently purchased a VPS with WHM/cPanel and am having some difficulty setting up apache properly I guess. First is is possible to have my hostname as server.<domain1>.com and then have a cPanel user with the domain <domain1>.com? As I have it now is my servers hostname is set to server.<domain1>.com and I also have a reseller account with <domain1>.com. I am able to go to www.<domain1>.com but I am unable to use any .htaccess files as they are not being 'listened' to, also if I got to server.<domain1>.com it forwards me to www.<domain1>.com...the apache config looks as if the defualt server should take it and route it to /usr/local/apahce/htdocs but in actuallity it resolves to /home/<domain1>/public_html. The server in question also has three IP addresses, one is dedicated for all hosted accounts...yet when going to that IP directly it resolves to the first domain that is after NameVirtualHost. I would like the for the raw IP address to resolve to /usr/local/apache/htdocs. Any info or pointers would be great.

~Evonder

2. rustelekom

rustelekom Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

too many question in one post :)

regarding hostname and your main domain account. Yes, it will not a problem have a server.server.com WITHOUT ANY account and account with domain server.com. server.server.com will just dns zone files and honestly you don't need dedicated dns zone file for this, you may just add alias in you main domain dns zone file. REalize by Edit DNS zone.

Regarding listening and so one. Most likely you just not a patience and try this right after adding domain. Let to dns some time for dns propagation and try again. Also, sometimes you may have error in virtual host servername and domain aliases. Check it.

And last. Yes, first domain by order under same ip's in httpd.conf will always showed if you just go to this ip. For preventing this, you need manually add in httpd.conf virtual host section and point his DocumentRoot to appropriate folder (in your case - to /usr/local/apache/htdocs).

3. nicotine

nicotine Registered

Thanks for the reply, I got it figured out...it was a badly configured httpd.conf. Thanks for the replys and as of yet having server.server.com as the hostname and server.com as a hosted domain has not fooled anything up yet and all seems to work properly. Thanks again.