The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel / WHM install / hostname set-up / issue

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by carlozdre, Nov 28, 2011.

1. carlozdre

carlozdre Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have installed cPanel on my CentOS cloud from rackspace.

What I've done, and in what order:

1. changed the nameservers to point to rackspace from namecheap cpanel
    2. set-up the domain etc.com in rackspace's domain management area
    3. added A records for hostname.etc.com and www.hostname.etc.com, with the servers ip in rackspace's domain management area, with TTL of 3600
    4. set-up the hostname as hostname.etc.com before the cpanel install, in comand line
    5. installed cPanel and WHM with a successfull message, in comand line
    6. By typing hostname -d -v I can see that my hostname is setup and it's name is hostname.etc.com
    7. Ping hostname.etc.com and etc.com (which now has my new servers IP address) successfull

Wasn't I supposed to access the WHM by typing https://hostname.etc.com:2087 then? It doesn't work.

Please give me a hint of what I've done wrong, I have been looking for similar cases but couldn't find anything relevant or that works for me.

Thank you.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does https://IP#:2087/ work? If it doesn't work, then please check your server's firewall on the machine. It likely doesn't have the right ports opened.

If it does work, then perform a dig on your hostname and check on another machine in case you might be cached. DNS propagation can take 24-48 hours sometimes.

3. carlozdre

carlozdre Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was able to figure out what's going on couple hours after my post but couldn't edit mine as wasn't approved. I have disabled the iptables, now I would like to know what implications does this action have? I know, nothing with regards cPanel, but generally speaking, is this a major issue for the other services?

I am not very familiar with all this server management thing and I wouldn't feel comfortable working with iptables or installing other firewall unless extremely user friendly.

One more thing, is there a way I can test if cPanel works properly so I can start creating accounts and move them already? Where should I look for errors, what are the common things that are happening?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    CSF would be very user friendly as it has a WHM plugin:

ConfigServer Security & Firewall

Here's a forum thread discussing how to install it:

https://forums.cpanel.net/f185/where-do-lookup-brute-force-attacks-243182.html#post1002822

As for your new question, if possible, it would be great to open a new thread next time for anything else that isn't related to the current thread. For creating accounts, you can use WHM > Create a New Account area, then you can tail the error log at /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log to see if any errors output during the account creation process. You can use WHM > List Accounts to see any accounts you have created, then click the cPanel icon for each to log into the account.