Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel/WHM migration?

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by subnet_rx, Nov 9, 2006.

1. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Member

Our company has a web server that is setup so that to create a new section on the site for a department, a admin manually goes in now and adds a folder and makes a new user:group for that folder. This system worked fine (sort of) till we got a web team that now has to access all of these different folders to edit files. I spend half of my day changing ownership of files to me, then back to the original owner again. We would like to move to a cPanel/WHM setup so that account creation, dns entries, database creation, and stats can all be viewed/controlled through a web interface. This would take some of the daily responsibilities out of the admins hands and give it to the web team. Two questions:

1. Is it feasible to think that we can move all of this into a cPanel/WHM controlled setup?

2. Are there companies that will set up a secure web server for you, because I doubt we have the expertise in house. Our people know RedHat/Oracle, but the web server is something that has been pieced together over the years by different people who knew a little about Apache/MySQL.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Yes, it is feasible to migrate your accounts to a cPanel powered server.

Do you mean securing and hardening your server? :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Member

Yes, as well as, general setup. For instance, even though I know how to compile AWStats on a monthly basis, I have yet to do it on a daily basis. Every web host I have been with does this, and has many other "standard" options in cPanel. This is what I would like our web server to have.

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You won't need to compile Awstats, manually when you get a cPanel server. That, and many more, will be done automatically for you. For more information about the cPanel, go to: http://www.cpanel.net/support/docs/index.htm