The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel, whm, pureftp, proftp slooow, apache crashing

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by luka83, Feb 4, 2011.

1. luka83

luka83 Registered

Hi,

I've got under my administration a virtual host running FEDORA 5 i686 virtuozzo on VPS server.

Problems are:
    - slow ssh
    - slow (pure and pro) ftp transfer speed (~32 kB/s, should be > 1 MB/s)
    - slow cpanl
    - slow whm
    - slow apache (plain html)
    - crashing apache with php

Which is a terrible state. I am not used to working with cpanel, and most of my *nix knowledge is useless when services and their configuration files are under cpanel/whm control.

I googled this for two month and tried many things. But the result is not satisfactory.
    What I did was:
    - fine tune mysql, fix databases
    - increased mysql and php memory availability
    - keep checking memory usage which rarely exceeds 50%
    - upgraded cpanel/whm
    - upgraded apache/php (PHP 5 Handler dso, PHP 4 Handler none, Apache suEXEC on)
    - checked resolve.conf (which has our dns servers and added cpanel's)
    - changed pureftp to proftp
    - cpu usage is almost nonexistent, even peaks barely touch the cpu
    - VPS server has got almost no load in general, and host only few non traffic intense pages.
    - apache log shows no errors
    - restart apache, pureftp, proftp service
    - restart VPS server

This changes did improve performance a tiny bit. But not nearly enough. To illustrate this, my homeserver that has < 1gb ram and amd sempron 2500+ cpu is lightening fast compared to this.

What can I do?

#1 luka83, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Find a better host comes to mind for me. It sounds like you've covered all of your bases properly, IMHO, what's left?

3. luka83

luka83 Registered

Thank you for your replay.

We did consider changing vps hosting and this option is still on the table. However, while searching for hosts almost everyone recommended our current vps host. Although admittedly I was really not impressed with the technical support offered by our host. While testing pages from other clients of the same vps provider, it seems that others are not having the same speed issues as we do.

Changing vps host requires a lot of work, because we do have clients, with their mails and so forth. Now backing up everything and porting it to another vps hosting provider looks like a nightmare where we could copy the parts that are causing this slowness. This is also why I decided against rebuilding the VPS from WHM. With all this reasons I am still in desperate search of a better solution.

Given that so many services are affected I am considering that one of this might be causing problems:
    - QoS services (as they might be "helping" too much)
    - cPanel / WHM (using their own packages and configuration could be affecting the whole system)
    - dns reverse lookups (although I think I disabled those)
    - exim (although I did disable many cpu hogging spam features, but I did notice in logs a dictionary attack)

I would greatly appreciate additional suggestions.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would say that running a legacy OS such as Fedora 5 (which was end of life in June 2007) might not be the best OS to have for a VPS at this point. I cannot say what issues might be occurring by running cPanel on this OS type, since Fedora is no longer a supported operating system.

Of note, other nodes on the VPS can impact the services loading slowly on your instance due to how virtuozzo handles VPS nodes. Basically, you could have another VPS node on that machine that is causing issues for slowness on yours even if yours isn't showing high activity. You would likely want to contact your host and ask them to review the other VPS nodes for a possible issue one is causing in your services. Provide the details on what is happening and how your own machine isn't showing high load, CPU or memory during these times, which indicates another node is likely causing it.