The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel/WHM root password

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by epanagio, Jul 1, 2012.

1. epanagio

epanagio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    This is very strange. I have been logging in to cpanel for months using the same procedure:
    begin to enter the URL in the browser,
    select the URL,
    enter the user ID root,
    the browser fills the password,
    click on the Log in button,
    poof! Now I am in.
    I was working yesterday in cpanel and after logging off I realized that I forgot to do something and tried to log in again. Followed the same procedure and...it tell me that the login is invalid.
    I can ssh to the box and sudo, no problem. I issued "/scripts/chpass root <password here>" and this doesn't have any effect in the logging in issue.

What s happening? HELP!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you mean logging into WHM rather than cPanel? You cannot log into cPanel as the username root, it requires a cPanel account user for cPanel access.

3. epanagio

epanagio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yes. Logging into WHM

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you try disabling cPHulk Brute Force Protection because you might be getting locked out due to someone else trying to brute force it. If you have it enabled anyway.

Here are the steps:

Code:
    ps aux | grep -i cphulk
    kill -9 PID#
    Where PID# is the process ID number of that process.

Then disable it:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/cphulk_pam_ctl --disable
    At that point, if you can log into the machine, check WHM > Cphulk Brute Force Protection to see if your IP is whitelisted. If it isn't, whitelist your local IP address that you use to log into WHM to ensure you cannot be locked out when root user is brute forced and root logins to WHM are disabled.

5. encryption

encryption Well-Known Member

Google got me here.

I'm having the same problem, was migrating sites from one server to another and suddenly WHM kicked me out. Now I can ssh into the box but no WHM access. How do I whitelist my IP from SSH?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you able to access WHM after disabling cPHulk? Tristan provided a command to disable it so you can access WHM to whitelist your IP address:

Code:
    # /usr/local/cpanel/bin/cphulk_pam_ctl --disable
    Thank you.

7. gerk

gerk Registered

Sorry to bring up such an old thread -- I landed here from google, but I ran into this exact problem twice in the last 24 hours while doing account moves with a brand new server install and killing cPHulk as noted above resolved the issue.

This is with a brand new install/provision of WHM 11.36.1 (build 6) and if it makes any difference I'm on a Softlayer server.

If there's any more info I can provide please let me know.

8. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

Since this thread has been brought back to life. I just want to add that I'm having the same issue.

Doing account transfers from one box to another and cpHulk blocked my root access to the transfer to box.

I gained access again and checked, my IP was no longer on the whitelist! I'm positive I whitelisted myself in cpHulk and the firewall, but nope, wasn't there.

Also, # /usr/local/cpanel/bin/cphulk_pam_ctl --disable did not disable cpHulk. I ran it and still could not access the box.

Also, there were no password failures on my end. The log shows about 40, but no sys admin is stupid enough to try his root password 40 times incorrectly!

I always fear that I will be blocked from my boxes, so I always have the ability to use a different IP in an emergency. This is also useful if you want to check the box for a problem without the box knowing its the root user who is whitelisted in cpHulk and the firewall, immune to mod_security and suhosin. You can change your IP with a proxy or VPN. Just remember that you are providing your access credentials to your box, so using a free or untrusted proxy or VPN is NOT a good idea.

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please open a ticket using the URL in my signature if cPHulk is blocking access when there are no failed login attempts, or if it happens during account transfers when there are no failed logins.

Thank you.