The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel/WHM Secondary MX Plugin

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ms2oo8, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ms2oo8

ms2oo8 Member

Does anybody have any experience using cPanel/WHM Secondary MX Plugin or any hold and forward secondary MX records for redundant email in cPanel?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can edit the MX records for a domain name within cPanel or Web Host Manager. Does this plugin complete any other configuration changes that can not be made in cPanel directly?

Thank you.

3. ms2oo8

ms2oo8 Member

I'm asking

- - - Updated - - -

I guess to elaborate, yes I can add secondary mx records in cPanel very easily, but then what? Wher e do I forward it to, what server configuration does the secondary server need to work with cPanel, how does the secondary server know when and what to forward to the primary server again. Can the secondary server act as a backup for multiple primary servers and forward mail to the correct primary server, once it's back online?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are using cPanel itself as a secondary MX, it is configured to handle that by selecting the option during account creation or upon editing the DNS zone. You have this option:

Backup Mail Exchanger

When it is selected, the domain will be placed into /etc/secondarymx and /etc/remotedomains files. I discuss this precise setup in the following post:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/google-apps-split-delivery-domain-209402.html#post860842

The MX records will need to ensure to have the cPanel machine as a priority number that is greater than the primary such as the following:

domain.com. 14400 IN MX 10 mailserver1.domain.com.
    domain.com. 14400 IN MX 20 cpanelbackup.domain.com.

Where mailserver1.domain.com is the primary MX and cpanelbackup.domain.com is the secondary MX.

If the cPanel server is truly going to be the primary mailserver and the other machine is going to be the secondary one and it won't have cPanel, you'll have to research how to set this up. It's entirely dependent upon what OS you are going to use as well as what MTA.