The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel/WHM specific cron jobs - explanation missing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheJudge, Mar 6, 2014.

1. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Is there an official document or page on which all cPanel/WHM specific cron jobs are explained in detail?

Every time I have a problem with such a cron job(eg: optimezefs, update_db_cache, modsecparse.pl, etc) I'm spending a lot of time searching on google what that script/binary actually does and where the problem can be.

I was trying to figure it out myself what these scripts are doing but many of them are binaries or some binaries are called at some point, therefore my search finishes there.

If there is already a such document/page, please let me know which is it or where can I find it. Otherwise I think that is a good idea to create such a page/document - maybe others from this forum share the same opinion.

Regards,
    Raul

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are no documents that explain the purpose of each cron job that cPanel utilizes. For the most part, you can view the files that are used to determine what they do. Here is a brief summary of the ones that you mentioned:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/optimizefs

This script sets the chattr +A flag for certain cPanel system files. This helps reduce I/O. This should not cause noticeable load and helps the performance of the system. This is not necessary if your partitions are mounted with noatime.

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/update_db_cache

The primary purpose of this script is to calculate the disk space usage of your databases. It can also perform some additional minor database maintenance tasks.

modsecparse.pl

The modsecparse.pl script processes the modsec audit log files, transcribing their contents to the MySQL database, and then clearing the file.

Thank you.

3. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the explanation. There are still others scripts which does not have an explanation/documentation.
    I really appreciate the fact that you explained those scripts for me but maybe(if there is not other possibility - eg: official page in the Docs part of cPanel) you can create a "sticky" post on this forum with all the default and the specific WHM/cPanel cron jobs scripts together with the needed technical explanation.

I think that such a post or page would help people understand better what those jobs are doing and help them in case one of those scripts is not working properly.

Regards,
    Raul