The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel/whm updated and Attracta is back?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lostmind, Jul 25, 2012.

1. lostmind

lostmind Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    imgur: the simple image sharer

So I login to a VM this morning to change a setting and I notice this splash screen. I recently setup this VM, specifically said NO to Attracta and yet cPanel is splashing it back in my face with this screen?

So now, although I've disabled Attracta... it's rearing it's head again. So my users will end up seeing Attracta, may click the button to enable it and may end up purchasing the product and being upset with them (because they guarantee rankings and can not deliver on it, PLUS they call you and hard sell you on upgrades). In the end, this is going to reflect poorly on my company.

Further, any revenues generated by Attracta in this manner will not earn my company a cent for all the hassle I'm going to encounter and all the biz I'll lose.

Am I an isolated case here or is everyone seeing this?

Do I have a right to be extremely frustrated here or should I simply find another control panel?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Setting it to No here should be enough. Once you do you will not be prompted again, and Attracta is not enabled. No one sees it.

If you've disabled it but still see it in your cPanel I suggest you put in a ticket to Support.

3. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I think we've about ruled out using Attracta as well for similar reasons, but I"m curious about this part of your statement. Are you saying they have a reputation or track record of NOT being able to deliver on their promises? If so, I'm interested in details, out of curiosity. I haven't been able to find much, (not that I've looked all that hard), on whether or not Attracta really works for people who use it.

4. lostmind

lostmind Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    First I need to apologise a bit. On this specific VM, it was NOT set to NO for Attracta in the manage2.cpanel console because this VM was setup shortly before Attracta was officially included. I am also running EDGE so I got this screen before those running CURRENT.

But yes. I know clients who've paid for an Attracta account. They call you. They hard sell you. They *guarantee* results. Their website/ad copy *guarantees* it as well. Now, I don't have time to go back and search for the copy that actually says this and hopefully I'm wrong again here and they've updated the copy to be more honest.

Apparently Attracta does not help improve rankings in Google at all for my clients. But then, my clients are mostly pretty savvy and already have their sitemap, seo friendly urls and all that jazz done up. If your website doesn't have any of this... perhaps Attracta could help somewhat? Is it then worth the monthly fees? I don't know, but still doubt it. The salespeople on the phone honestly do not sound like they have any knowledge about anything but selling their product and reading their scripts.

But hey, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong. I do not have a search engine product I offer my clients and I would LOVE another revenue stream.

Attracta just seems... not a good fit for companies who honestly care about the success of their client base.