The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel with FreeBSD is it stable ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hicom, Jun 14, 2003.

1. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

Hello,

We've a server running FreeBSD and have been considering adding CPanel to it, but after reading some of the posts about CPanel + FreeBSD, I feel horrified.

especially:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9498&highlight=FreeBSD+4.8

Can you please advise me on what should I expect?

I couldn't find installation instructions for FreeBSD, its all linux. Is the FreeBSD version going to stay in production ? Are there any installation or tips information for cPanel FreeBSD ?

Thanks, Tamouh

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. silentcircuit

silentcircuit Active Member

hicom, how well do you know BSD? I am currently using cpanel with BSD and I only had problems initially which I could fix and now my server runs 100000 times better than it did with redhat. With redhat the machine froze up often which it shouldnt being a dual athlon MP machine, but it was simply redhat kernel support for smp, BSD is great and I love it.

If you are going to be restoring sites, some things will be different, and some other things will be changed. But, the horror stories I believe are from people that honestly dont know what they are doing that just hear BSD is better, cause it is!

3. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert at BSD, but the server administrator knows the OS very well. He actually recommended moving from RedHat to BSD. But I had this concern about cPanel and its compatibility.

I agree that most problems are actual administrator lack of knowledge, but I just hope cPanel structure is good enough to handle BSDs.