The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel with gentoo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by agod, Mar 18, 2004.

1. agod

agod Registered

I am currntly thinking of upgrading my server to gentoo but i wish to be able to offer my clients the cpanel still.

has anyone tried to use cpanel with gentoo and is it compatable?

any help woud be appreciated in this matter.

Thanks

2. trusion

trusion Registered

I would like to do the same. Gentoo is not listed under their supported OSs.

I see that they have an install script that does all the installation, so I can't even look at what it is configuring. The only thing I wish they had were docs on the configuration. I have not looked around a lot yet, but I would preffer doing all the configurations, not some script. I eventually want to setup some ebuilds that can take care of it for me.

pipe dreams at this point, but we'll see.

3. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

vs debian

It's unlikely gentoo will be supported anytime soon. Installing cpanel(any one version) is one thing, but cpanel depends on the many parts of the system to work. It's very tightly integrated into each distro, and that makes other distros slow to port. The Debian port still needs work, last I checked, and it's been going on for quite a while already.
    For one, it still tried to satisfy dependencies by using redhat package names instead of a few debian-specific ones, even as it calls apt-get. I've not seen an option to use the .dpkg apache either, nor a way to rebuild custom kernels with make-kpkg.
    I'm sure the cpanel staff will correct these in time, but I think you'll be disappointed in the results, not because they are doing a bad job, but because for them to give the amount of service and support they are contractually engaged to give you, they will have to un-gentoo your system to some extent.