cPanel with Redhat Enterprise Server

eXite

May 16, 2003
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I'm wondering who of you has already switched to RHES. I hear some good things about it, it's supposed to be rock solid and peforms extremely well.

As I was looking at the product comparision table @ redhat.com I noticed that there's a difference between mutiple kinds of RHES packages. There's WS, ES and AS which cost respectively $179, $349 and $1499. WS is announced as an OS especially for use within desktop environments, ES is supposed to be for mid range server applications while AS is for top range 24/7 mission critical server applications.

Which one does cPanel support? I'd have to choose between WS and ES, the only difference between those two operating systems is that ES seems to have pre-installed server packages, can someone clear this out for me?

How does cPanel stand on this, I mean I'm willing to pay for my OS, but if I do I want it to operate flawless with cPanel, and if cPanel provides the packages you get with ES anyway, why couldn't I just buy WS since it has exactly the same kernel structure as ES and AS?

Last edited:

Devil Inside

Apr 4, 2003
how would I know? I was guessing...

*ahem* sorry, lil joke. ;)
I read it somewhere - only remembered the key part of what I read. Ya need ES.

I'll see if I can dig up the info for you.

PWSowner

Nov 10, 2001
ON, Canada
I read about it at
http://www.webhostgear.com/28.html

Here is a quote from that page:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS
This version is basically useless to anyone other than desktop users. It doesn't have any server applications and highlights the following:

Capabilities
Desktop Productivity:
Mail
Document Processing
Browsing
Instant Messaging

This pretty much makes the WS version useless for anyone trying to run a server, it's geared more towards workstations.

ciphervendor

Aug 26, 2002
ES has support for up to 2 processors and AS has support for up to 32 or 64. The versions also support x amount of RAM.

Probably 99% of hosting companies should be able to get by with ES.

dave9000

Apr 7, 2003
arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have been running RH ESv3 on a non cpanel box for 3 months now. Its rock solid. And errata has been very little.

It appears to be a lot better engineered than the regular RH

namehog

Aug 7, 2003
Northampton UK
Changing from RH9 to RH-ES3

Are there any known OS command line differences when changing from RH9 to RH-ES3 - we are currently about to upgrade all servers from RH9 due to the paid up status - and not wanting Fedora as the alternative.

Are there any pitfalls to watch out for during migration of sites between ?

We have been trying to get sensible answers about GD support when installing ES3 - does it auto compile with Gd and mcrypt support - or is is seperate job, before cPanel is added.

If GD has to be compiled seperately - can it screw cPanel up ?

sorted ! it can be done uder /scripts/easyapache and select GD - curl - mcrypt - ttf etc if required - very neat

Bryon
www.namehog.net

Last edited: