Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel wrong disk usage report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thesufi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. thesufi

thesufi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am having some unusual trouble with one of my cPanel accounts. I have a reseller account from a provider, where I have some 8-9GB email hosted under one cPanel account.
    On the quick stats on cPanel home page (first image), it shows Disk Usage is 8.03 GB of 11.72 GB (account is limited to 12000MB). quick_stat.png

However, in "cPanel > Disk Usage", it shows "34,122.91 MB total disk space used." (second image).
    disk_usage.png

This problem is mostly with email accounts and their wrong disk usage data. When I sort email accounts by "Storage used" from high to low (third image), counting only first page of 5 pages of disk usage manually gives around 14.3 GB usage, that is after leaving "Default" account from the counting, which is 15.82 GB itself!

email_accounts.png

Now, I have contacted with my hosting provider, who after contacting with cPanel told me that (quoted from my hosting provider support ticket reply) "this is intentional / known behavior and unfortunately not something they consider a bug" - here "they" = cPanel.

My hosting provider also quoted from cPanel:
    "If you convert your mailboxes to the maildir format, you may notice a discrepancy between reported and actual disk usage for the default email account. This occurs because a maildir mailbox adds the total default email account usage to the INBOX directory usage of every other email address on the cPanel account. It does not add the subfolders for any other mailbox."

When I have asked my hosting provider about any recent conversion to maildir format, they have mentioned that they have always used "maildir", and this is what my hosting provider have mentioned:
    "We've always ran maildir because if we did not then the ability to restore individual email messages would no longer be possible. cPanel now has a case open CPANEL-26525 to improve the reporting of the disk usage pf email so it's not misleading/incorrect but there is no estimate on when this will be fixed."

My hosting provider gave me a SSH command (du -h --max-depth=1 mail/) to check the disk usage of mail directory. Unfortunately, for my end user, who is using this cPanel account for only email purpose, is not usable and/or not user friendly.

Now, I need a solution for this problem. Since my hosting provider could not solve this, even after contacting cPanel support, I have no other option but to open a thread here. I am paying my hosting provider, who is paying cPanel, for a end product, which we all expect bug free/usable at it's best. I understand that there will be some bugs in a software. But what I am facing here is not any minor bug, and is kind of unusable for an finished product, in my opinion.

If my hosting provider is following this thread, to them: I am not here to complain, but to look for a solution.

I am sorry for the long post, and if my post is not clear or doesn't make any sense. And thanks for reading it in full.

I am unable to edit the original post. So here are the missing information:
    cPanel Version: 78.0.21, running on CLOUDLINUX 7.6 kvm

#1 thesufi, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2019
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thesufi

thesufi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelMichael

Thanks for your reply. I have checked the CPANEL-26448 and your provided thread. However, I can confirm that it doesn't matched with my scenario entirely. Only default email disk usage part matches. On my case, every email accounts are providing false disk usage data. That's the major problem. If it was only "default" account, I could have easily avoid it. But every email accounts are showing wrong disk usage data. Kindly read my post again and match with my attached images.

Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @thesufi,

We'd need to take a look at your system to see why the disk space reported for your virtual email accounts are inaccurate. Can you ask your hosting provider to open a support ticket with us on your behalf so we can take a closer look? You can ask them for the ticket number they receive from us and post it here once they let you know what it is.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @thesufi,

To update, the disk space usage discrepancy for the individual email accounts is associated with Compress Messages feature documented on the link below:

Mailserver Configuration - Version 78 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

This is related to the following notice in the cPanel UI:

The following feature request is open to provide a supported method of compressing existing email (this would address the issue you have noticed):

Ability to compress existing email

I encourage you to vote and add feedback to this feature request if this is something you'd like to see added to cPanel & WHM in the future.

Thank you.

6. thesufi

thesufi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelMichael,

Yes, this seems like the problem. This feature request has been there for around 10 months now. So, I don't think this is going to see daylight anytime soon. Any possible workaround? I can deploy a quick VPS and do some work, if there is any hope to fix this! Because the disk usage data end user is getting is very misleading and causing problem.

Thanks.

7. mathx

mathx Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Some of the statements here are incorrect. We're on a ZFS filesystem which compresses automatically, and we see a 7775MB report for the user, however because of the email reported usage it's putting the user over 11,000MB.

I compared du -xm . | sort -n | tail -1 (which reports 7775MB of actual disk) vs

$find . -ls -type f | awk '{a+=$7} END {print a/1000/1000;}'

you can see this isnt very far off, vs the "email disk usage of 11,600MB" in email accounts reported under the disk usage tab of the user's cpanel panel.

Note what i've done here is tallied the actual LISTED disk usage from ls of the file, which is the correct file size uncompressed. So compression isnt the issue here specifically. Something is completely wrong in the disk usage calculation for email.

Where is the script that cpanel uses to calculate this so that I may investigate and see what it is doing internally, and possibly modify it for our uses?

8. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The workaround noted on the following feature request comments remains applicable:

Ability to compress existing email comment 1
    Ability to compress existing email comment 2

Here's the path to the script that's used to generate the maildirsize files:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/generate_maildirsize
    Feel free to open a support ticket if you'd like us to take a closer look and investigate where the discrepancy is coming from.

Thank you.

9. whipworks

whipworks Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi @cPanelMichael,

We are also having the same quota issue not being read right. Can we also open a ticket? We are on an LXC container on a ZFS backend storage subsystem. Thanks!

10. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @whipworks,

Yes, feel free to open a support ticket and post the ticket number here. Thanks!

11. mathx

mathx Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I work with @whipworks, so it was the same issue. How was this solved so I know what to do for our other systems?

12. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Can you share the ticket number that was opened? Or, are you referring to the ticket opened by the thread creator?

Thank you.

13. whipworks

whipworks Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Ticket #12315117

14. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The issue reported in this ticket was determined to relate to case CPANEL-26448:

Pending Publication - [CPANEL-26448] Default Email Account Showing Incorrect Usage

The workaround provided in the support ticket was to execute the /scripts/generate_maildirsize command and move aside the email account cache file from the affected user's /home/username/.cpanel/ directory. EX:

Code:
    /scripts/generate_maildirsize --confirm --allaccounts
    mv -v /home/username/.cpanel/email_accounts.json /home/username/.cpanel/backup.email_accounts.json.backup1
    Thank you.