cpanellogd - http logs exceeding limits

rhm.geerts

Jul 29, 2008
Maastricht
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Maybe somebody else knows. It's there so it might be necessary for something. A "locate" finds more of them:
Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/webazolver
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/dutch/webazolver
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/english/webazolver
/usr/local/cpanel/src/3rdparty/gpl/webalizer-2.01-10/webazolver
/usr/local/cpanel/src/3rdparty/gpl/webalizer-2.23-05/webazolver

Simon-G

Sep 13, 2007
Well, you are not alone. I imagine it followed an update. I don't really want to deal with it by editing pignore, although another week receiving 100 emails the same time each day might change my mind!

I expect cpanel think it is a csf issue, but csf just calls it as it sees it, so something must have happened to these scripts to make them resource intensive?

Hoping the next update sorts it out....

rhm.geerts

Jul 29, 2008
Maastricht
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I hope too it will be fixed, because changing the webalizer lines in csf.pignore did not stop the mails.

So it's not a webalizer issue, it's a cpanellogd issue IMHO and we had never put cpanellogd in csf.pignore before so that should not be necessary!
Somewhere something is not running fine since the last update.

I'm also wondering why nobody of the Cpanel crew is answering to this thread.

planetjoin

Oct 14, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello

I agree.. is not CSF issue... csf just send the warnings.. but is something from cpanel after the last update.
i´ve changed the cpanellogd cron in whm from "each 2 hours" to "once each 24 hours" and at least i´m receiving less warnings.

But still receiving...

I hope cpanel make some patch for this ;(

Regards
Fabian

Evolve

Jan 31, 2007
I am also receiving these alerts from LFD recently.

This is one from an account that only has a simple temporary home page.

Code:
Time:         Tue Mar 19 10:04:47 2013 -0600
Account:      myaccount
Resource:     Process Time
Exceeded:     1935839 > 1800 (seconds)
Executable:   /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/514/bin/perl
Command Line: cpanellogd - http logs for myaccount
PID:          24149 (Parent PID:23708)
Killed:       No
Does that say it's been up for 22 days? Uh.. I must be wrong because I've rebooted within that time.

Last edited:

rhm.geerts

Jul 29, 2008
Maastricht
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Perhaps they will answer when they have an answer.
Cpanel does not come cheap, it would be a sign of service towards the clients if there would be an answer like "we see there might be a problem somewhere, we will look into it for you".;)

Does that say it's been up for 22 days?
Mine says it's up for several years and I rebooted often in all those years, so I guess it's counting from installation time instead of running time. Maybe that has something to do with the bug too, I don't know.

mpkapadia

Apr 10, 2002
I too am having this issue across servers. Some of the servers just have 1 - 2 websites still the alert seems to be coming.

Louisvdw

Jun 23, 2011
We have the same issue as well and it started from the last cPanel update. Did anyone log an call with cPanel about this?

bouvrie

Apr 6, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've been experiencing the same thing, from around March 13. We updated cPanel the day before, so it could be related to an update.

So while I too think that there could be something wrong with cpanellogd recently (since March 13 2013), to be sure I also posted in a the ConfigServer forum thread on Excessive resource usage notifications, a thread started by someone else on March 13.

Last edited:

adtastichosting

Sep 13, 2008
OK, I am getting the same issue at the same time every morning and now that I look at this thread I can see it isn't just me so that means it MUST be something related to the last update. and a process time of 24942391 is kind of high dontcha think.. SO would be nice to get some word from cpanel has anyone opened a ticket or reported this as a bug?

southbay

Aug 17, 2011
This was posted on the configserver forum this morning:

Re: Excessive resource usage notifications

Unread postby ForumAdmin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 am
That's happening because cPanel moved to using their own perl build in v11.36 and the cPanel log processing drops privileges to each user as it processes them. We have included an example ignore line for csf.pignore since 11.36 was in beta in the latest version shipped with csf, i.e.:

Code: Select all
pcmd:cpanellogd - (http|ftp) logs for .*

You can add that to /etc/csf/csf.pignore and then restart lfd and the processes will be ignored. The webalizer once can obviously be ignored with a simple line for the executable (this is also included in the current csf.pignore shipping with csf).

DanS.

Sep 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

It's simply because we changed our perl, cpanellogd, and webalizer locations.

ConfigServer Scripts Community Forum • View topic - Excessive resource usage notifications

Also, configserver stopped hard coding for these in a previous version long ago (4.34 I believe). You can see that change in /etc/csf/changelog.txt. I'm not certain it's exactly related, but it seems reasonable. You simply need to add the ignore for the commands. It should work fine after that.