The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanellogd & updatedb

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by bmett, Nov 21, 2012.

1. bmett

bmett Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Both processes (cpanellogd & updatedb) seem to run very resouce intensive on our servers. Normally the server load is fine between 1-2, but as soon as one (or both) of the process kick in, the load spikes.

I'd like to find out more about the processes, if they are really necessary for us, how to deactivate/manage them.

cpanellogd:
    I understand that cpanellogd is calculating bandwidth data per account, is that correct?
    I found many forum threads point to the Statistics Software Configuration and Schedule Configuration to controll the cpanellogs process. For some reason cpanellogd still runs during the hours that are ticked. There is one process cpanellogs - sleeping for logs, but another one calculating bandwidth for ... or similiar. Not sure why the process is still running? The server time is set correctly.

updatedb:
    I think updatedb is refreshing the database for command like locate. Correct?
    Is there a way to configure a schedule for updatedb like it is possible for cpanellogd?

A bit more info about our servers:
    We have basically 2 kind of server. Mail and Web server. Pretty straight forward. Some of the server are very full (by full I mean a lot of accounts with rather small usage)

Hope someone can shed some light on it :)

Cheers,
    Bjorn

2. bmett

bmett Well-Known Member

hmm nobody out there who can help?

3. texo

texo Well-Known Member

Hi bmett

We use a cron to disable cpanellogd every morning at 8AM and switch it back on at 6PM. That keeps the loads low during the business day, and hasn't caused any problems in the ~2 years we've been doing this.

We don't allow updatedb to run. Just removed the entry from cron.

4. electric

electric Well-Known Member

We have the same problem. Seems like the settings in "Statistics Software Configuration and Schedule Configuration " are not respected since cpanellogd runs anyway. When we disable it manually, it takes even longer the next time it runs in order to "catch up".

The best we can do is put faster drives into the server to minimize disk io. (SSD all the way.)

5. texo

texo Well-Known Member

This is true. cpanellogd runs regardless of the hours ticked in that setting.