The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanelpop problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carock, Jun 7, 2004.

1. carock

carock Well-Known Member

I moved a bunch of sites from one server to another this weekend, and some of them didn't copy the first time with the "Copy multiple accounts from another server"

After it was finished, I copied the failed one's one at a time with no problems. Until now....

It seems that any additional E-mails for the first time failed copies are not working. Cpanelpop keeps looking in the main server's account password file for the user.

[root@cpanel ~]# telnet localhost 110
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK POP3 cpanel [cppop 11.9] at [127.0.0.1]
    user vitoc@kriegerspub.com
    +OK Need a password
    pass 1234
    -ERR Username/Password Mismatch
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    [root@cpanel ~]# tail /var/log/maillog
    Jun 7 12:09:00 cpanel cpanelpop[11867]: User not found user=vitoc homedir=/home
    /greatweb passwd=/home/greatweb/etc/shadow
    Jun 7 12:09:00 cpanel cpanelpop[11867]: Session Closed host=127.0.0.1 ip=127.0.
    0.1 user=root realuser= totalxfer=99

I have several other accounts that failed to copy out of about 100 that were successful. So far all of the one's that failed are the only one's with the problem.

I had the latest release on both end of the transfer. WHM 9.3.0 cPanel 9.3.0-R104
    Fedora - WHM X v3.1.0 The old box is running RH 7.3

Anyone got any ideas?

2. carock

carock Well-Known Member

I figured it out.

I finally found the problem.

The /etc/userdomains file had thier domain pointing to the wrong user. It was pointing to the greatweb user instead of theirs.

I fixed that file, and now cpanelpop is checking the right password file for this user.

I wish there was some troubleshooting documentation somewhere for the various pieces of software Cpanel uses.

I've seen a lot of similar issues with cpanelpop in the forums, here, but no one has suggested any kind of relationship with cppop and the userdomains file, that I could find.

Maybe this information will help someone else.

Thanks,
    Chuck

3. carock

carock Well-Known Member

Still a problem...!

I was using telnet to test becuase I could see it log in /var/log/maillog

I edited that file, and telnet to port 110 was working.

The Webmail login is still not working though.

Also, the userdomains file was restored from my edits so that stopped working today too.

How do I fix this the right way?

Do I have to remote this site from the box, then restore it from backup or something stupid like that? There' has to be a better way.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Chuck

---- More information ----

Neomail appears to work, but Horde and Squirrelmail don't. Horde gives me "Login failed for some reason. Most likely your username or password was entered incorrectly."

When I try to log in with horde, I see this in the /var/log/maillog file...

Jun 8 11:42:32 cpanel imapd[20895]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=localhost [127.0.0.1]
    Jun 8 11:42:35 cpanel imapd[20895]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=localhost [127.0.0.1]
    Jun 8 11:42:35 cpanel imapd[20895]: Logout user=??? domain=kriegerspub.com host=localhost [127.0.0.1]

And that's all. Where is horde & squirrelmail getting it's username/pass authentication from?

Chuck

#3 carock, Jun 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  4. carock

carock Well-Known Member

Fixed

thanks to this message thread http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24132&highlight=squirrelmail+login+error

I was able to fix my problem. The fix in thsi thread wasn't the issue, but pointed me in the right direction.

Somehow the files in this directory and subdirectories had the wrong group owner...

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty

I went through about 25 directories to fix all of the file permissions. On the old server I noticed many of these files had root:pipe or root:steve for ownership. this made no sense to me, and these users had different group numbers on the new server, so they showed up like root:502 or root:513

Once I fixed all the group ownerships, my Horde and Squirrelmail magically started working again.

Thanks for anyone that spent time on looking at this for me.

Chuck