The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanelpop user not found

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danimal, Oct 14, 2003.

1. danimal

danimal Well-Known Member

Howdy all!

I've been having a weird error with cppop (cpanelpop) that I can't resolve. Perhaps someone might have some insight.

As preamble, assume I have two domains set up via two accounts, both of which are virtual domains (i.e. share with a main IP):

domain 1: d1.com
    account 1: d1
    domain 2: d2.com
    account 2: d2

I've been using d1.com for a few days and everything is working just fine. I can read email with:
    mail.d1.com and username: danimal (for example).

Today, I created d2.com with account d2. I have not yet created any email accounts for it.

Now, when I try to get POP3 email with danimal as the username and mail.d1.com as the POP3 server, I see this error:

Oct 14 17:46:37 onyx cpanelpop[6456]: User not found user=danimal homedir= passwd=/etc//shadow
    Oct 14 17:46:37 onyx cpanelpop[6456]: User not found user=danimal homedir=/home/d2 passwd=/home/d2/etc/shadow

Since I haven't set up email accounts for d2.com, there isn't even a /home/d2/etc/ directory!

Clearly, cpanelpop is trying to look for the shadow (and passwd) file in /etc/shadow or /home/d2/etc/shadow, rather than where it actually is: /home/d1/etc/shadow

Can anyone help me understand why this might be happening and what I can do to rectify it or work around it?

I've searched and searched and can't find any reference to this anywhere. I think that the pop server is getting confused and trying to match the incoming account username with the wrong etc/shadow and etc/passwd files, but I don't know where or how that is configured.

Thanks in advance!

Danimal :cool:

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. danimal

Yeah, but if the POP3 server is set to: mail.domain.com, shouldn't I just be able to set the username to: user and not user@domain.com?

Is this a known limitation with cpanel's pop server? My other box which runs Plesk has virtual hosts on the same IP and doesn't have this problem.

Danimal :cool:

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. DomineauX

DomineauX Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Danimal:

Did you ever figure this out? I have at least one account that is looking at the incorrect passwd and group files as well.

Like emailuser1@domain1.com attempting to pop shows up as this in the maillog:
    cpanelpop[12948]: User not found user=emailuser1 homedir=/home/domain2 passwd=/home/domain2/etc/shadow

I would love to figure out where the match up is coming from.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should always use username@domain.com to login to cppop with. If you do that, you shouldn't see the problem.

5. danimal

no such luck!

Well, Chirpy's response is less than helpful. I _know_ that one can enter the full address... but one shouldn't _have_ to.

DomineauX: I haven't figured anything out yet. I just remember this as a glitch and whenever any client has email problems, this is the first thing I suggest (use the full email as the username).

Anyway, maybe someday this will be fixed. *sigh*

-Danimal :cool:

6. DomineauX

DomineauX Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hmm...the client who has this issue is saying that he is using the full email address as the username. I think I will just have to hold him by the hand a little tighter :)

7. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

Yes the user HAS to use the full email address to check email. Otherwise how does the server know if user dave is for dave@domain1.com or dave@domain2.com

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Erm, that's how virtual email addresses work - you have to use that format, it doesn't work in any other way as Billy pointed out. Not liking my help doesn't detract from the fact that it's the truth :rolleyes:

9. danimal

I'm sorry

Chirpy,

I apologize for my snippy response. I think I was feeling overly frustrated at that time. cPanel/WHM seems to sometimes do that. hehe.

Anyway, I understand somewhat why you'd need the full email address, but if I have a client with the domain myclient.com and an email account "person", then if they are connecting to "mail.myclient.com" shouldn't it work to just pass in "person" for the username? I.e. can't the mail system figure out where to look for "person" based upon the POP3/IMAP server used?

Trying to understand...

-Danimal :cool:

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it can. I know it can be done with FTP because the daemon supports the concept of virtual hosts. With cppop you're most likely simply connecting via IP address translation and it knows nothing about virtual hosts (i.e. hosts sharing IP addresses) and so has no idea what the original domain was that resolved the IP address.

Basically, if you would like to see what you want as a feature, you would need to raise it in bugzilla:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=38350

11. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know this thread is a month old, but thought I would post here since I just had this experience as well. I cannot 100% for sure say that my client actually had 'user@domain.com' and not just 'user' in their account name box on their mail client, but they swore up and down to me they did. Let's call them jack and their domain dom1one.com.

I added a new domain dom2two.com yesterday. Today when user at dom1one.com checked his mail, it kept saying invalid pass to him. A quick check of /var/log/maillog yields this same error - User not found user=jack homedir=/home/dom2two.com passwd=/home/dom2two/etc/shadow. Is this because the user put in just his username and not the '@dom1one.com' portion and the system was starting with the last entered domain (dom2two.com)?

I have had this happen on one other occassion as well, when a user added a new email address to their account. Suddenly, another customer was getting the invalid password message, and I saw the user not found message as above in maillog. I reset their password in WHM and they were fine.

Anyway, just want to make sure this is truly what is happening before I start patronizing my clients and telling them they are wrong in what they are saying/seeing while troubleshooting this problem. :)