The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel's brianless idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by r00t pAsSw0rd, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r00t pAsSw0rd

r00t pAsSw0rd Active Member

So much for security, lacking in the most basic area

whm > configure backup

Type in password for ftp server and it shows cleartext

And if a hacker breaks in the server? Make it two = backup server data will be wiped out when he sees the password.

Good job cpanel. Genius you are

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

So? If you have a hacker on your server with root access, how do you suggest hiding the password that is required to be in clear text for FTP?

Please don't use derogatory comments in your posts or subjects.

3. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

If the hacker has root you have bigger things to worry about than a clear text FTP password haha

4. r00t pAsSw0rd

r00t pAsSw0rd Active Member

Cpanel can't mask that your saying? It can send it clear text, but does it have to SHOW it clear in whm? I think it would not help when your off site backup is gone, let alone your server data on the main box

5. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

would you actually like ... wanna give it a break ? do you think a hacker would come and expect to care about your backup ? why in the world are you using cpanel then ? there are a ton of other control panel software out there you could brag about. insulting cpanel intelligence for because you seem to have a "bright idea" what is the purpose actually ?

and if you are so smart in finding assumed bugs in cpanel software why don't you start coding a control panel software from scratch, that way, you would create the perfect control panel.

god how easy is for some people to trash other people hard work.

and by the way i just checked part of your posts, i was just curious if you are so knowledgeable as you state you are, and guess what, 32 posts, 75 % of the posts you ask people how to do things. and the point is ? you will ask.

the point is: until you bring your contribution with some real stuff and facts, like chirpy for example, who built that awesome firewall and mail queue manager, and really helps people in the forum, you could just use the precious time in order to learn what you are doing instead of throwing mud on other people hard work for stupid reasons.

6. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

And as a side note, I think your post title was meant to be "brainless" not "brianless"... I don't think they have anything against people named "Brian".